The look of disgust!

Ive decided to write this down as I’m so upset and horrified on how humans can treat others… Because for some people homeless people are scum, don’t deserve love and shown disgust not daily but hourly!

Just a normal Sunday and I decided I was going to get some stuff for me, food, beauty products, cleaning products and a new bit of technology… I walking around in a new pair of kicks, a new expensive hoodie and a decent coat to keep me warm. I’ve done my shopping I feel good that I can afford the stuff I have because I’m no longer having to pay out to people for the drugs of my choice.

I’m walking out of the shopping complex and there is a guy with a cup, he’s asking politely for change, some people are walking past and Tuting, some people are complaining of the smell and others are ignoring him.

I get close and I know the guy, I call over to him and ask if he’s okay, as always when your in active addiction, you don’t feed your body all your money goes on drugs, he’s hungry we go back to tescos, he gets told he’s not allowed in! Another judgement made, I go buy him some food and a bottle of liquid, I head upstairs and get some clothes for him… He’s waiting for me outside the shop with his head down avoiding contact with anyone and he apologises to me!
Told him to shut up, he takes the bags off me and is about to leave me and I can’t do it, I can’t let the guy walk away without offering him someplace to wash and get himself warmed up.

The look of complete shock over this gentleman’s face asking me all the way to mine are you sure?!? Of course I’m fucking sure!
He showers I stick his dirty clothes in the wash, he puts on the thermals, fresh boxers, socks, jeans, t-shirt and jumper I spent at tops £30… I make up a flask of hot tea, I make him a coffee, you know he wouldn’t even sit on the sofa, saying its been months of just sitting on the street! I am at this point making soup and bread for us and I’m holding back my fucking tears as I know that this was and could still be me! The active addiction crippling this kind person, I make him eat the food, you can tell his not eaten for fucking ages, get him a second bowl and we just talk… Before he leaves I can see it on his face, he’s on the verge of asking for money! He asked and I said no and that I was sorry I couldn’t help in that part… He apologised for asking and I know he meant it as I know so well even when you don’t want to you are compelled to ask because your addiction needs it!

I see him out of my flat, I’ve just cleaned the bathroom and I’ve just had a cry to myself because that could easily be me… I could still be on the streets wondering where I’m gonna sleep tonight, when my next meal would be and hoping that someone won’t look at me as a piece of scum but as a person.
I try everyday to be better than the day before, I have to remember my road of recovery and the reason why I cant/won’t pick up!

The people I relate most to now are the same people I once looked down on and judged. The drug addicts The broken The lost
I am humble because I have been you

54 Likes

Good work Danni - That was me a couple years ago aswell.

5 Likes

You have the biggest and kindest heart Danni! :heart:

3 Likes

6dc2ba897fa90614f0de4342d304ea90

9 Likes

Oh Danni! :heart::sob::heart:

You’ve left me speechless. Thank you for being you! :pray:t3::heart:

5 Likes

i usually talk to the guys sleeping rough ive walked in their shoes give them a few pounds if ive got it , used to speak at the Talbot centre in Glasgow many years ago now halfway house , and your right there goes for the grace of god .well done

6 Likes

Whilst i feel for people i just dont think i could display the kindness you did. Its easier not to see people that are down and out. The excuse is always where do you start and where do you end. The first act of kindness is the start, but its easier to not ser

I hold you in awe, Danni. You didn’t just give money. You gave him back his humanity, his dignity - by seeing it in him and him knowing you saw it.

I get a “word for the day” in my inbox every morning (from gratefulness.org). This was yesterday’s:

Extend the circle of “us” to include as much of the world as you possibly can.
Rick Hanson

You did it in spades. No us and them. Or at least, as little “other-ing” as possible. We’ve all been “them” in some way or another.

Thank you for your act, thank you for sharing it with us.
Inspired and awed by your example. :orange_heart:

7 Likes

You made me cry Danni. You’re such a beautiful person with such a beautiful heart. We are so blessed by God to know you. Your road hasn’t been easy but it’s given you such insight that it had made you who you are. Love you girl :heart:

4 Likes

Damn Danni,

You truly are an amazing person,

I had this spiel not too long ago at work, I deal with homeless and transients all the time. I gave one my lunch once cause everything was closed it was a midnight shift, I do what I can to help them out. I am usually the one they call to mediate situations, while some are pricks no matter what way you cut it others are just so down and hopeless you just want to make it right.

I was asked by my LT why and how I manage to be so compassionate and understanding with people and manage to descelate situations, I said what is the difference between him and us? He’s still human, we can say that will never be us, but we are all just one bad move away from being that person. So a simple gesture or suggestion can be all they need to get in the right direction

3 Likes

@anon27760155 thank you for sharing this. This was a beautiful story to read. Such a compassionate and selfless act.
It is disgusting the ways people can behave towards others…
A homeless person is still a person.
Be kind everyone.
After all, kindness is free.

3 Likes

Holy shit! What an amazing act of kindness. You rock. It would be amazing if that sparks something inside of him. One can only hope for his sake. Great job Danni!

1 Like

Thanks for this read today.

You’ve made a difference in that man’s day, mine and all these other people’s days as well. I appreciate it.

6 Likes

After being in rehab for alcohol addiction, I’ve learned compassion for all addicts. That was such a nice thing you did and declining to give him money seems like the right thing to do so he can’t use it on drugs since they would be enabling on your part. You did what you could to help this man and that’s all we can do sometimes.

2 Likes

You are a better person that I am. God bless you.

2 Likes

Such a beautiful lady. You made me cry, I love this. I always try to help where I can. I never give money but I often get a coffee or a sarny for the folks I see sleeping rough. You restore my faith in humanity Danni, god bless you :pray:t2::two_hearts:

2 Likes

WOW. Simply WOW.
:heart:

3 Likes

Beautiful, not everybody has the ability to relate.
The streets are not pretty

2 Likes

You are awesome. I love your big :heart:

1 Like

From Mathew 25

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,

36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?

38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?

39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

4 Likes