The moment that changed everything

I’m still going through the struggles of sobriety. But I’ve realized that everyone else’s stories here have helped me feel like A. I’m not alone and B. It is possible to be sober.

For those interested in sharing, I would love to know what your turning point was. That rock bottom moment. What made you decide that sobriety was more important than all your fears and every reason you had for drinking?

For me, it was a moment. A very quick moment where I was at home alone drinking a bottle of wine. 6 months had gone by and I could barely remember any of it. Marriages and holidays, birthdays and children being born, relationships disappearing, I missed it all. I realized then I would rather live in the pain I’ve been numbing than to simply exist as a body passing time.

11 Likes

Hey are you attending meetings? I find them really powerful and would be lost without them. You’ve got to work the program to get the rewards :grin:

For me it was the morning I got up and my anxiety caused by alcohol had got so bad I physically couldn’t get in my car and drive it, or even leave the house for that matter. My kids needed to get to school and I just couldn’t do that simple basic thing they needed me to do for them.
My mum took my kids to school and when she got back I told her absolutely everything, I made an appointment with my Gp, drew up my programme and started working it without looking back

6 Likes

I’m not. I would like to but I’m a bit intimidated. Going alone is frightening. So I’ve been taking every other step to say sober besides that. Although I recognize the importance I just need to take the leap

Its crazy how our worst moments in life are also our greatest blessings.

Isnt it, that probably (no definitely) isn’t the worst thing I did due to alcohol but it’s absolutely the one that told me I “had” to change. It was definitely a blessing in disguise

1 Like

I’d woke up on the sofa at 4 in the morning. First thing I saw was an unopened bottle of wine. I drank this and a couple of cans whilst getting the family up and off for the day.
I then drove to work picking up more cans and swigging from a bottle of whiskey. I got to work, parked up and thought to myself " can’t do this"
Drove back home, picking up more cans. I put music on at full volume on my stereo at home, text my wife and my father and passed out on the kitchen floor.
When I woke up, I had, somehow come to the conclusion that something really really had to change!!

3 Likes

People are so welcoming at the meetings :blush:

Ah bless you. I never realised that was your rock bottom… look how far you have come . Proud of u Mr g x

1 Like

My rock bottom was selling my sterio for crack and heroin… couldn’t believe I was selling my belongings for drugs … that was the day I rang up the drug clinic and asked 4 help… makes me upset I couldn’t give up 4 my children but i have up when my sterio got sold … that is the sickness of addiction… thank god I’m not in that dark place anymore x

4 Likes

For me it wasn’t alcohol but heroin…I was at rock bottom, lost my job, living in a horrible environment, losing ways to scrape up money, sick and hopeless. I hadn’t prayed in months I was a junkie, and one night 2-28 I decided to pray I asked God for a way out I didn’t want to live like this I needed help, I asked him to save me please, bring me a sign of what to do I cried and begged and pleaded. The next afternoon I got a text from my dad saying he wanted me to call him and it was the time i would be getting out of work at and up until this day they still thought i was working so I said ok and went to head out to my car so my phone would connect to my speakers and it sounded like i was driving home. As I unlocked my door someones hand grabbed my shoulder… it was my dad I turned around he was crying I looked disgusting I had been wearing the same nasty clothes no shoes some beat up slippers. He said we know what’s going on please come home and let us help you. I couldn’t believe it all I ever wanted was for them to care and maybe intervene and here my prayer was answered, how did they know and how did they find me?? My dad told me the night before he had a feeling in his gut I wasn’t ok and god told him he needed to find me. He went to my work and found out i lost my job they searched old friends boyfriends and found my car at an address they located. So while I was praying to God to save me he was putting it on my dad’s heart to come find me…

12 Likes

Well there you go Nat. We’ve both learnt something today.
How could you sell your stereo woman!!! :joy::joy::joy:

Kristen, I don’t know what to say, you have brought tears to my eyes girl. That is such a wonderful thing to read. Thank you :hugs::heart_eyes::star_struck:

1 Like

Awww!! Big hugs!! Thank you it was very emotional for me and such a great story I just remember repeating over and over God show me what to do Ill do it I need you to give me a big sign please cause Im so fucking lost, and when my dad told me he had that moment at the same time i prayed I got chills all over my faith grew immensely!! :heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes

I can definitely see why it would. An experience like that sure shows one that there is something looking out for us! :star_struck:

2 Likes

I know !!! What a twat I was ! Lol x

Love this story and you…! :two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Beautiful story my friend… thank god 4 saving your life . I totally believe in the power of praying x

2 Likes

Thanks doll love you too :hugs::heart::kissing_heart:

1 Like

My faith grew so much that day needless to say i haven’t stopped praying since! I love you!! :hugs::heart::kissing_heart:

2 Likes