The pressure of the weekend

I have been fine without alcohol up to this point but the weekend is coming up and I am worried that I won’t be able to avoid drinking or going somewhere where alcohol is available. I don’t want to have to avoid going to those places altogether but maybe it would help to in the beginning to? Right now, I don’t even have any interest in drinking in moderation in the future. If anyone has any ways of not drinking while being out where it’s offered, please let me know. Often times I am too easily tempted to get one, even when I don’t want to be drinking.

I am 21 days sober and did not stop to go to any places (I dont go often in any ways) but I have said about quitting to all of my friends so nobody offers to take one, and if by acciden somebody who donr know that buys one just give it to friends :slight_smile:

3 Likes

3 weeks already @oferta! Amazing.

Thank you :slight_smile: and sober NYE in a party that I am most proud :slight_smile:

1 Like

If it seems tempting to order a drink, in my opinion it would be best to completely avoid the places you mention for a few weeks or months. Speaking from personal experience, putting yourself in situations where you would normally drink and alcohol is readily available is setting yourself up for failure. Maybe instead of going to those places, make a plan to accomplish things over the weekend that will keep you busy and your mind occupied, and don’t require you to put yourself in a situation where you would be tempted to drink.

4 Likes

You’re doing incredibly well to be around so much alcohol and avoiding temptation after 21 days.

Nice to hear :slight_smile: I do use antabus for not to drink and also lie to muself :smiley: forever sounds soo scary that I repeat to myself for now make a goal not to drink for a year and that you can do it for sure. For me it is much easier then to say no.

1 Like

I’m exactly the same mate. I’m 4 days in and really.worried that it’s going to go tits up come tomorrow evening.

I’m going to try and deal with it 2 ways - sign up to an early morning exercise class on Saturday so that will hopefully give me the edge over my craving on Friday night.

And I’m not going to deny myself anything else other than booze. You better believe I’ll eat an entire tub of ice cream!

1 Like

I know if I would have stayes home on all that holidays I would have feel pitty to myself (that can not drink moderated, that staying alone and etc) and would have been much more tempted to drink then by going out. I guees it depends also if you live alone or not

Yeah I absolutely feel like telling the friends you’re expecting to see that you’ve given up drink before you arrive is a great start. I told the majority of my friends yesterday and every one of them so far has been really supportive. I’m only 4 days in so may struggle this weekend
Good luck

I think I’m going to look into scheduled fitness classes for early morning too! Keeping that consistent could really help keep me away from the bar-something to look forward to

1 Like

Maybe I express myself wrong :slight_smile: i wanted to say that going to bar or some other places would not necessarily be bad, as I know that staying at home due to avoid alcohol around would have cause me feeling pitty to myself, depressed and lonely.

1 Like

I guess the decision to avoid alcohol around or just go anywhere where you used to just stay sober depends on a lot of things: are you going to stay at home alome or with family, are your friends suportivw for your sobriety and will not insist you to drink, are they heavy drinkers (and you will get bored of drunks talks very quickly) or they just gets tippsy and you can still have a normal conversation with them and of course how strong you feel yourself :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know they say this in the rooms and there is mixed feelings on AA but if you’re going to go to a barber shop just to talk, eventually you’re going to get a haircut. I’ve been in and out of recovery since 2006 and the period of time when I had the most sobriety (3yrs) happened because I didn’t put myself in situations early on that could jeopardize my recovery. In some cases it meant keeping certain friends at a distance or letting go of them all together and I didn’t step foot into a bar until i was a year sober. Everybody’s different though. I will say when I thought I could “handle it” or played the “pity” party where I didn’t want to stop going out to bars with my friends because I just wanted to be “normal”, I relapsed within weeks or a few months.

3 Likes