The Small Business Thread

I run a small business. Thought I’d post this thread for other Small Business owners, if you’re out there, to complain on. Or to ask questions, I guess.

Just got a notification this morning that my secretary quit. Welcome to Monday! 32 patients on the books, more to come in.

5 Likes

So did you get all the problems sorted in the end Rob? Have you ended up going on your own?

1 Like

This sounds stressful, will you be able to get a new secretary? Is chiropractors like physiotherapists?

I could bitch about clientel all day everyday😄… Like today. Guy answers my email in the morning. I get to his house that has a gated driveway. I called twice and got no answer. He calls back 20 minutes later after i already headed home …🤦 im glad my small business is just myself. i couldnt trust employees as much . Because finding good help is hard to find.

3 Likes

Can id with you before i stopped drinking i had three small companies lost them but when i got sober i started my Landscaping company in 1989 had 20 guys working then i downsized and brought my sons on board i stopped contract work a couple years ago im still working at my local hotel as head gardener semi retired still working hard, tops up my pension 68 next jan hopefully ill keep on working well into my seventies god willing , hope you get things sorted ,

5 Likes

Still working on buying out the business I’m in. Just sucky to have crappy employees that do stuff like that to you.

@Frantasticooo I guess you could say that. Chiropractors are like that maybe. Youd have to go to one to know really. We work on neuromuscular and skeletal injuries.

Sounds like cool and interesting job, hope you find some nice reliable people to work for you.

1 Like

So, we made a hire last Wednesday. She seemed well qualified. Did training at our parent company in the morning and was going to come back and do a working interview with me in the afternoon.

It’s and hour and 15 minute drive between clinics. What does she do? Goes to a sit down restaurant. Open time comes and shes not there. I call the office manager and she says that she contacted her and she’s still at the restaurant because there was a really long wait. We say we can try tomorrow. Shes got a hair appointment at 11. Doesnt show until 4 PM. Then works Friday. She is supposed to work today, but just doesnt show.

What do I have to do to get a responsible adult, who wants to work?

1 Like

Coming from someone who created their own department within an IT company, never ran a small business but every day felt like I was for sure because I built it from absolute scratch and the company had no infrastructure for me to work with, I had to hire all my employees, put a CRM in place, do the training and onboarding and much more. This to me, is certainly a fireable offense, especially after the no show but likely well before that. Once I heard about the sit down restaurant, I would of given her the news then or at least a stern warning. She will likely continue to do these things because now she probably feels as though she can get away with it, 3 inexcusable offenses in less than a week? I wouldn’t have tolerance for that, and I never had to fire any of my employees. Correctional action plans though? Yea a few haha

Just my two pennies

5 Likes

Not quite the same but i work for a start up CIC who use disused council building n turn them into community based Co working space.
I bludy love it and I love my bosses.

I have done. Few self employed bits myself n I do sympathise… Its hard work. N far too kuch to do whilst trying to keep n addiction going haha

Good luck with it all

1 Like

What do you do for s living @Bex1994🙂

Community managing a site :slight_smile:it’s really easy and relaxed and everyone’s very real.

I’ve run out of likes but I like that :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh, shes definitely done. She wasnt even technically hired. Just working interview/on probation.

Anyway, just slammed with patients today and doing it all on my own.

1 Like

On to the small business bitch fest… Dealing with clients that want 5 star work done while paying bottom dollar. I bet everyone would but the world do work like that… Ever heard of you get what you pay for. I promise my work but if a stupid unneeded bracket didnt get put on i dont wanna hear it. You wanna jew me on an already low quote but want best job done and want references . For 1 im not giving my customers numbers to a stranger sorry … Im starting to learn to let these customers go. They are not worth the headache…

2 Likes

My mom does faux and decorative painting. The things some of her clients ask of her and expect to pay :woman_facepalming:

8 Likes

I know i just refunded a customer all thier money without a blink. They wanted to blame me for things they did and said i should have checked. Well… I didnt touch that area did i? So why would i look? This is why mechanics hate when people work on thier car and cant get something so u call me. I already had more hours in the job then i accounted for so i lost there already. Now u wanna be particular on a 20+ yr old car and dont wanna buy or spend money to fix anything. I had enough my bpd was flaring off the charts. Tell me im not being professional. So u looked on craigslist for a professional. How about take it to the dealer if u want professional and make sure you bend over and bring lube your gonna need it when they are done. Tried to call me shady and say im incompetent at my job. Heres ur money goodbye…then wanna be nice… No keep it moving! NEXT! Its actually a great thing when people are appreciative and know i saved them money.

4 Likes

Yeah, some people suck.

Back to complaining about employees. Have an employee that wanted to bring his dogs in because the summer heat wave was crazy, then because the air was so smoky lately… Continues to do so for months on end now. I’ve allowed it, but this morning his pup pissed on the floor in front of new patients. It was super embarrassing. I approached him and told him that I appreciated being able to help him with his dogs, but he needed to find a better solution for them than bringing them to work every day. He got all irritated that I’d suggest this and was incredibly defiant, insubordinate and didn’t see the problem with this event at all. Could potentially cost our clinic thousands of dollars if these people decide (Understandably) that they don’t want to go somewhere where dogs do their business freely on the carpet, even if it is a puppy.

I’m pissed at his attitude and disrespect to me. Can I get some validation here?

4 Likes

Is this the first time you’ve had issues with this employee?