The Sober Job Hunt

So I’m in the process of finding a job and it’s been incredibly stressful especially during what looks like the start of a new wave of covid and being sober too, I’ve sent out over 30+ applications and it’s pretty tough getting rejected daily and not having (or what I used to think was) my emotional support crutch there to support me. Turns out I never needed that to hold me up or fall back on, it’s what was holding me back, sending out applications drunk or hungover or on a comedown was the thing that was stopping me. I was standing in my own way by drinking and using and derailing my own career. Thankfully Im 6 days alcohol free and 10 days drug free and have to 2 offers to choose from.
Sobriety is an absolute gift and I’m grateful for it.

Has anyone struggled finding work while recovering? How did you get around it, what worked?

5 Likes

I have a gap in my employment history of 15 months due to my addiction. When I went out looking for work I took a job at minimum wage doing manual labor and it was exactly what I needed. My previous job had been as an attorney. After a few months of working there an opportunity presented itself at my current agency. I have been here 3.5 years and I have been able to work my way up pretty high. But I still appreciate that minimum wage job as it really allowed me to get back on my feet.

8 Likes

When I got clean and sober, I realized my job was so stressful that it was contributing to my addiction. Having a clear mind and the ability to pass a drug test it gave me the motivation to change careers. Within 2 weeks, I found that new career. It was just what I needed and sobriety has given my the gift to excel and learn to cope with stress much differently.

5 Likes

My addiction began at my job when I was a hospice nurse. I haven’t worked in the almost 5 years since. There will be a gap in my employment history when I go back.

I can never go back to the field I was in as a nurse because of the ready availability of narcotics. However I may work in the area as a patient care aid while I work on getting my licence back.

5 Likes

I went from a three owned company guy to a labourer working on roofs with my sponsor for about a year outside no stress or paperwork then he said your to good for this kind of work go forth and do what your good at and i did had a Landscaping business for 32 years now im retired but still sober some times time out makes it easier to gather strength for future demands wish you well

4 Likes