The struggle is real but this app is helpful

I’ve spent the past few days reading a lot of the topics on here and my heart goes out to everyone fighting the same battle. I’ve always had a tricky relationship with alcohol. I have never been able to have one or two drinks; it always turns into 10-15 drinks. I knew I had a problem a few years ago and challenged myself to taking the whole of 2017 off of the booze. I succeeded but soon as we entered 2018, I was fully back to being a drunk. I’ve continued drinking this year and told myself I’d take 2020 off of alcohol. A couple of days ago I had a real bad experience, blacking out and waking up on a floor, not knowing how or when I got there but having to get ready and go to work, pretending nothing happened. I now realise that I shouldn’t be aiming to take a year off alcohol at a time and that I need to avoid it once and for all. As of Tuesday, I’ve committed to never drinking again. Family and friends have been telling me for years that I shouldn’t drink and I’ve not listened. I’m feeling hopeful and plan on using this app to help me. Keep fighting the good fight. Alan

12 Likes

Thank you. It’s been very helpful reading the posts on this forum and seeing the support everyone gives one another.

1 Like

Welcome to the beginning of your new life . Have u tried aa meetings. They are a great way to help us meet other recovering alcoholics . X

2 Likes

I haven’t tried AA but it has crossed my mind a few times. I’ve tried one on one CBT therapy, as I struggle with anxiety in groups.

3 Likes

Welcome @Alan1986 you will find everyone here really kind and helpful. You already admit you have to stay 100% clear so that is a big step right there. Check in here lots. Get yourself to AA if you can. But vent as much as you need… we have all been through it.

1 Like

Welcome.
You seem to be approaching this in the right frame of mind.
It was the first thing I did. Read, read and read again as much as I could on here.
I took on everything I thought could benefit me with an open mind. I didn’t shut anything down because I thought it wasn’t me.
And yes, the support is out of this world.
Stick around, become an active member and you’ll be surprised how effective it actually is.

2 Likes

Congrats on starting Tuesday… your story sounds very similar to mine. Hope everything turns out well!

1 Like

You have made a good start, AA meetings may help you to, get connected, it has been a great help to me and continues to do so

1 Like

Glad you here. Take it easy …be good to yourself.

1 Like