The urge i passed up tonight

Before I even left my salon tonight I was already craving a run b the liquor store on my way home. Its cold a rainy here and I love it, I always love to have a drink so I can have a cigarette in the cold rainy air. All the way home I thought about it. What would I say to my husband, or would I try to hide it. No, I hate lying to him, but how would I validate my decision to go to the store. I kept trying to think of the pros vs the cons of being sober, how I would feel in the morning, how I would feel once I started drinking, starting back at day 1. Yet I still wanted to go… Went to pick up a Rx before heading home. At the light I had a decision to make. Right would take me home, left would take me to the liquor store. I turned left drove to the liquor store and then I said, just go, just go past it. Just get home. Turned right at the next light and headed home. Told my husband about the decision I had to make tonight and he hugged me and said he was proud of me and that he is happy I have this forum and app I can reach out to and get some insight with. I might not talk often on here but I do check in every morning and night for insight and guidance and it has helped tremendously. I’m so thankful for this community/app and my support from my loved ones.

33 Likes

Glad you made that decision. I had a similar decision 4 months ago. I had 17 months clean and talked myself to the liquor store. I sat there for 10 min then drove home. I entered my driveway and out of nowhere I drove right back. That one decision cost me 4 months of sanity. What might seem like just one bad mistake for one night can easily snowball to thousands. It’s awesome to read these posts of people making the right ones. I hope I never make that wrong decision again.

6 Likes

Nice one.
They can be real “sliding doors” moments where one simple action can change the course of your life.
Well done on getting home safe and talking about it with your partner.
:+1:

2 Likes

That also went through my head, the idea that if I drink tonight will I find a way to make excuses for the next night and Friday and Saturday etc. Thanks for the response!:blush:

2 Likes

Good going, lady!! I’m very proud of you!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::two_hearts:

1 Like

ive also sat in a few liquor store parking lots having deep heart to hearts with myself :smile:

2 Likes

The thing is, you didn’t go in. You got really, really, close but you drove off. And that’s fantastic. Also, for us relative new guys, really interesting to see these moments will happen - even a year out - and this is the way you deal. Just think how great you’re gonna feel tomorrow morning!

3 Likes

Yaaaayyyy!!! Good job!!! So proud of you!!! Keep up that confidence and keep making those right decisions! Pat yourself on the back and have some ice cream to celebrate! :blush::heart:

Well done lady!! Small steps are big steps!!

Well done.
Sometimes it comes right down to that sort of process. Just to get us past the urge

I didn’t really read the title so I kept reading and reading. Aaaannnd I am so glad that you resisted. Congratulations! :sunny: You did it once which proves that you can do it!

1 Like