The urge to feel that surge

32 days in and the alcohol is whispering to me. It is hard. I have such an urge to feel that surge and anything that happens to me makes me want to open a bottle. I must fight it.

2 Likes

Wow congrats on 32 days, that’s wonderful! I’m 8 days in today. And although I’ve been okay so far with not having any real temptations, I know it’s part of recovery and it’s only natural. My game plan is to just keep that feeling of shame and regret always in the back of my mind, and if I think for one split second “I can handle one or two drinks, I’ll be fine” I’ll remember that is simply just not the case for me and it never will be. It’s just not worth it and I need to accept the fact that I’ll never be a “normal” drinker - and that’s okay. Think of how far you’ve come and be proud, and try to remind yourself of all the reasons that made you want to quit in the first place. Try to find other outlets for dealing with the lousy stress (I’m still working on that part myself) but all i know is that the drinking would only bring on more stress in the long run. I know you can do it, stay strong! Best wishes.

1 Like