The urges are getting worse

Im on day 11 today, and i feel strong about everything. But yesterday i almost slipped…i like to do things for my wife, so she asked me to pour her a glass of wine, without even thinking about it i poured her glass of wine and almost took a sip. But i didnt! These urges are getting alittle bit more intense the further i adventure into sobriety. Jist dont want to lose focus and have my brain tell me that my drinking wasnt that bad, so its alright to have a few. Just need some pointers to get through the urges.

3 Likes

You’re wife knows you’re quitting right? Then she should handle her own alcohol from now on. I wont even buy any alcohol for my man if I’m going out and itd be more convenient for him. There is no reason for me to be in a liquor store or beer isle. Now he normally keeps his bottle in his car or hidden away from me. It honestly doesn’t bother me that he drinks, bc I was the problem, but I’m glad he got into the habit. If seeing it around is sparking that urge you should talk to her about it. I’m sure she’ll understand.

3 Likes

I agree with @Just_Laura, your wife should handle her own alcohol. She should be considerate enough not to expect you to even touch it. I won’t even go to the liquor store for my husband no matter how convenient it is when I’m already out. He can get up and go himself.

4 Likes

After years of being attracted to something it’s perfectly normal for those fleeting thoughts of wanting to take a drink. We’re trying to break a habit years in the making. We have to be extremely careful that a split second decision doesn’t trip us up. When my wife said she was doing a night shift the other night… I thought … I could take a few beers without annoying her… I didn’t… but I couldn’t believe that the thought went through my head when I really want change. It’s because I done that so many times before that it was normal for me to think it. I guess it will take time to break those old habits… and develop new ones.

3 Likes

She knows im quitting, but now i just to tell her to handle it on her own. And there is no way i could even go into a liquor store or anything like that.

1 Like

Hi have u tried aa meetings they really do help and it’s good to be around people who understand what we are going through. X

2 Likes

Havnt made it to AA yet, planing on soon.

1 Like

I’m so pleased your gonna give it a go . It changed my life x