The wobbly, wandering, wild camp sober thread

Geoff!! What an amazing adventure! And well done for handling it sober and in stride. Life is always going to throw the weird and unexpected at us - what matters is how we handle it. So proud of you!! :hearts::fire::bird:

2 Likes

Visiting Tower of London, then Covent Garden

8 Likes

I admire your strength and your willpower. You are strong and you know exactly what you want and need in life. You are way stronger than this voice in your head!!!

1 Like

Thanks Ariel.
So, I was still fighting the feelings about treating Saturday night as a free pass to drink on the way down. I did think about not going before I left, don’t know if I was strong enough to resist. But by the time I got on the motorway I had settled into the drive, and it took the feelings away. Nothing like a road trip to clear the head!:grinning:

6 Likes

Nice work keeping the demon away. You’re right, nobody but you would have known but that defense gets thinner everytime we take a sip. Eventually, everyone will know. Well done Geoff

4 Likes

What an adventure! Well done for resisting those urges to drink. I have also found the thought of admitting resetting my counter here a helpful way of getting past that initial urge while I unpack the rest of my toolbox. This too shall pass!

Fan Dance sounds so tough, had an ex-forces (although not ex-SAS) mate that did it and it makes me feel out of breath just thinking about it :joy: What an amazing goal for an amazing guy :+1:

2 Likes

I like that one Chris.

Thanks bud

2 Likes

I think it’ll be tough but it just kinda came to me that I needed to do something, you know like have something to work towards. I had looked at it a few months ago only because I’d been reading a few books by ex UKSF and they all go on about the “Fan” even the Para’s do it as part of their "P"company. But I’m no way a sports man and didn’t think anything else about it.
To be honest the whole thing is kinda daunting but I’m taking it one day at a time. With a bit of planning, work out a training schedule.
I’ve posted before about the respect I have for the SF guys and @Yoda-Stevie is always on about the discipline needed to succeed so… ?
Thanks for your support :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes having something to focus on is super helpful. With a good training plan you will be fine, well kind of, you’ll be shattered :joy: But you’ve got plenty of time! Log your progress on the hiking club thread, help keep me motivated with my training plan! :grin:

Will do. There is a winter one in January but I think I’ll do the summer one first!:joy:
The winter 2021 one will give me my next goal.:grinning:

Love this @anon12657779, it’s a success story in so many ways. You knew you needed something more to move on to, planned your trip, beat the demon on your way, completed the trip and came back with your onward plan, it’s absolutely perfect!
Your amazing :blush:

That’s really nice of you to say Shell! :star_struck:
I must admit when I was looking to the weekend all last week I didn’t foresee having to beat any demons. So there you go, I suppose something thought I needed a reminder? My Higher Power I suppose?

1 Like

Awesome! We need to set these sorts of self-challenges, work, train, and ultimately accomplish them. In doing so, we grow. The discipline deleloped to keep to a regimen can be applied in so many other areas of our lives is invaluable.

What the Royal Marines called a TAB, US Marines call a Force March, or “hump” in grunt terms. These were a regular bit of training during times in my career where I was part of an infantry unit, especially as an artillery forward observer.

When I got out in November 97, I swore I’d never again put a pack on. A few years later I caught the hiking bug, and spent many days hiking the Appalachian Trail, usually 2-3 days at a time. I’ve section-hiked all of Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Southern Pennsylvania. Great for clearing the mind, feeding the soul, and taxing the body.

You’ve set the goal. Now get after it!

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: You’re forgiven Geoff, beautiful place though, sounds like you had fun regardless :+1:

1 Like

Hey Michelle. Thanks. Yes I did. I love Wales. Planning on more now.
How are you, busy busy as usual?

1 Like

:joy: :joy: Yes definitely busy, working three nights a week, 12hr shifts. I do Friday recovery group survival skills 11-1 "and recovery group Tuesday evening 5.30-6.30, organising a charity walk in August over the cotswold way so have weekly meetings with nelsons trust and Emerging Futures, adult education and the Gloucestershire constabulary. Lots of logistics and also fundraising events thrown in too, next one is June 19th which is a summer Soul BBQ :grin:. And I still have my two boys on my own as the ex is not around much. Oh and my new relationship :joy:. Very busy