There again

I have had so many relapses lately, I am failing to get my story straight everytime I want to concentrate I am doomed with a serious relapse. I read about people clocking 6 months in sobriety I ask myself where I am getting it wrong. Share me the secrete to atleast 1 year sobriety

9 Likes

Don’t think there are any secrets we all want to help each other. Be advise is to take the suggestions and carry them out truly.

I think maybe the biggest “secret” is that it took many of the sober community thru the path youre on of constant relapses, despair, worry, and frustration.

Keep at it.

6 Likes

The only key to long term sobriety is no secret, it is this:

Surrender

Surrender the fight against something you will never win. Surrender your ego and do whatever it takes to get sober. Surrender your pride and walk into a meeting.

Addiction is a fight we cannot win, we must surrender because if we stop trying to fight it, we will never lose to it.

What does surrender mean to you?

11 Likes

No secrets and no magic pills. I had to become willing to try everything and anything, and for that I had to be open minded. I got honest with myself and everyone else that I couldn’t do this on my own and then I had to ask for help. I found that help in AA.

9 Likes

Welcome back Mike.
No secrets. Got to find what works for you and what you’re willing to do do get sober.

:pray:t2::heart:

8 Likes

There is no secret. It is just plain hard no matter who you are or what you’re trying to get sober from. I come on here every day spilling my heart out and praying that I can be strong enough to get through one more day and that’s it. Just one more day. And that 1 day turns into 2, then to 4, and now I am on my 8th day sober. And I know if it weren’t for coming here I would have never made it this far! Id say come here every day, all day long if you have to. Like I do. Because here you will find what you need to help you not use or drink. Support, encouragement, and community.
I know I’m only eight days sober and still very new to this. But I hope this helps.:heart:

10 Likes

I think the secret is to not try to get sober alone…you need to connect with others that understand to help you through, im 14 months sober and ive been on here pretty much every day of my sobriety…thats not a coincidence.

8 Likes

The secret lies with one day of sobriety. I relapsed 20-30 times, then I realized I only really relapsed 3-4 times. Why? Because all those other times simply not drinking wasn’t actual sobriety, it was just days I didn’t drink. I’m curious what thoughts go through your head when you decide to drink??

For me, if I thought about drinking I probably would. And most of those times, I would go to the liquor store thinking “last one” "last time"etc… it just opened the gate for more.

There is a point that you will be battling the very strong and persistent dual threat - psychological addiction and physical addiction. Really very challenging and something that becomes very frustrating and bewildered. Like why am I doing this? I don’t want this , yet doing it. I suggest going to a meeting, seeking a counselor, rehab.

You gotta do work, you have to make changes, because white knuckling it alone is really rough.

I know how you feel and I know how terrible it is. What are you willing to do to get sober???

I wish you the best my friend

10 Likes

An important thing is love yourself. But love truly. Love your body and mind so take care of them. Do not poison them.

The effects of this healing will be appreciated soon.

Love your life and your past, you can’t change it. But you can give up the bottle, just this moment, just today.

This is neither a vice nor a sin. Alcohol is a drug, a disease, do not blame yourself for this. Just try to recover. Do not drink.

Best luck, you can do this!

5 Likes

My secret is ‘never question the decision.’ No matter how many months I have, that voice always creeps in telling me I have it under control and just one would be fine. My decision this time around wasn’t that I won’t drink; it was that I do not ever have it under control. That is what I never question.

7 Likes

I’m a simple alcoholic. The secret to my recovery is simple as well. I do the work every day both mentally and physically to maintain focus on today. I don’t need, have or want to drink and it’s all because I took the suggestions from other sober people on here, in the rooms of AA/NA and I help others like me. I stay the fuck out of my own head when it comes to drinking or using. Whatever it takes my friend.

8 Likes

I can only share what has helped me and that are many things and some of them are already mentioned.
But an imported one for me was having a “plan”. I made myself a list with things that I think could help me with going trough the day sober.
Here are some things I have on my list:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to read and check in sober.

First year of my recovery I was here every day to check in sober. My goal was and is to finish the day sober as well.
24 houres of being sober is douable and repeat tomorrow.

9 Likes

Like many people on here i went to AA, at that time no internet or mobiles and im the proof you can get sober if you want it and are willing to make the effort and desire is important , 37 plus years no relapses or slips many times in early sobriety i was tested but my defence i had in place helped me ,plenty of excuses to lift a drink but no reason ,talking helps but action is needed have to change your mindset wish you well

4 Likes

At the risk of repeating, just keep trying and be open to trying new things.
I tried quitting by myself just wishing and hoping and failed dozens of times. I tried some online programs and websites. I was sober for a bit and relapsed. I tried some quit lit, I was sober for a bit and relapsed. I was sure AA was not for me, but I had tried pretty much everything else so I tried it. It worked (touch wood, 3+ years). I hope that if that had failed I would have tried rehab.

5 Likes

Start by coming here every day and being active.

1 Like