There is no right way to drink

As obvious as that should be to someone like myself… I just had to try it again. One lead to another and another and then another and then I couldn’t stop. Like I always can’t. Now I’m sitting here with a hematoma on my skull, a black eye, bruises all up and down my legs and just feeling like an overall failure with a totaled car. This has to be the beginning of a new life for me because if it isn’t I’m afraid I’m going to kill myself or worse, someone else. This is the first time I have ever posted on something like this. Thanks for letting me share, I guess.

14 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I’ve been thru it too. It’s good you want to start a change now. I didnt at first. Two Ddubs and a separate car crash and I just kept drinking. For years. And my life just got worse and worse. Finally I realized it was time to stop. So stick with it bc ive almost got a month sober and everything in my life is exponentially better. Good luck with your journey.

1 Like

@Just_Laura Thank you so much for your kind words. Good luck with your journey as well.

1 Like

I’m so pleased you are here reaching out …Please keep reading and reaching out were all here to help eachother through our recovery x

2 Likes

I totaled a car too due to my drinking. It is terrifying. I hope it doesnt take multiple DUIs and jail time for your new conviction to stick, like it took for me! Keep sharing, the more open we can be about our struggle, the more others will know how to help us. It was so much easier for me to stay sober and learn to love my life with support from my peers: those who were farther along the path of conquering their addiction(s). Welcome and glad to meet you- you are among friends and can achieve everything in sobriety that the long-timers have by doing the types of things they did (everyone is unique, but I think it took some daily dedicated work for all of us!)

6 Likes

@Natnat Thank you! I will keep reaching out.

1 Like

@OneBoiledOwl I really appreciate your words of support. Thank you for responding. Glad to meet you, too.

I couldn’t be happier that you’re here. First step is reaching out , you’ve come to terms with you knowing you can’t drink. It’s a hard fact to face but the sooner you do the sooner you can begin your new life, sober. Keep checking in, keep reading on the forum. We are happy to have you!

1 Like

@mleclaire Happy to be here. Thank you so much.

Hey there, TMC. Recognizing your inability to control your drinking and how it makes your life unpredictable is a huge step.

If you had asked me after my first, second, third and fourth drunken car wrecks what I was willing to change, I would have said I’d be much more careful driving. Even though I “should have been” ready to stop drinking, I was not. Finally, I was granted a moment of grace and release and I got busy living, that is, working my sobriety.

So, not to judge you, but to encourage you toward a useful honesty, what are you willing to change? What are you willing to do to get sober? If there is something you are not willing to do, why not? I rebelled against AA until I conceded that they seemed to be happy and sober and I was a f*ckin mess.

What if going to rehab got you sober but you might lose your job? Would you keep your job drinking, anyway? These are the sorts of questions to ponder. Maybe an introductory session with an alcoholism counselor could help you ask and answer some of them.

Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your journey.

4 Likes

@TMC we are all 1 drunk talking to another. Glad you are here. Keep checking in. Maybe get to some sort of meeting? Lots of help here in this group. I am finally 1 month sober after years of drinking. You can do it. Please check in here a lot.

1 Like

Welcome pal! Your story is like so many of ours. So please stick around. Good people here that have been there.

3 Likes

@Gabe.G Thank you (:

@Donut89 That was very uplifting and I needed that. I am going to try every day to keep that as my rock bottom.

1 Like

@Here.I.am I will, thank you. I’m definitely seeing an overwhelming amount of community in this group. When I posted I wasn’t sure I was going to get any responses, but I have been pleasantly surprised. Thank you for being one of them.

1 Like

@SinceIAwoke To be honest, I am not sure exactly where to go from here. I’m not sure exactly what I should change, besides the alcohol. I’ve been in the rooms and rehabs. I’m timid to re-enter the rooms because I’m rather shy, but I understand it would be very beneficial. Doing it on my own clearly isn’t working out. Thank you so much for your feedback.

Welcome Trisha. I also totalled my car and got a DUI. That was my rock bottom. Here I am 81 days into my sober journey and loving life again. I hope to see you around here often. We’re all in this together. Take it one day at a time. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

@Lisa07 So happy for you and thank you!

1 Like

Glad you’re here! This is a great place to learn, be encouraged & vent. Lots of people can identify with what you’re going through. Hope you stick around & heal quickly! Take care of yourself & just take your sobriety one day at a time.

1 Like

Glad you’re here and reaching out! I know the terrible feelings going through you right now and you don’t have to suffer alone. And you never have to feel this way again if you so choose. I have been sober just a short time but there are people here with lots of sober time and knowledge to get you going in the right direction…they have helped me immensely :pray:t2: Wishing you lots of luck and sending you big warm hugs here from California :heart:

1 Like