There’s hope!

Those of you who know my story know that I suddenly lost my binocular vision in 2020. I have news!

short backstory
I was prescribed prism glasses to help correct my issues… they instead helped fuel my problem so I stoped wearing them. Several appointments/1.5 years later I learned that they were prescribed way too early in my journey so they hurt more than they helped in the beginning. Now my visions at a place where I need prisms to see so I started wearing them again. Now they actually help but my vision isn’t perfect.

present day
I really needed a break from doctors so I’ve been using them to get by. It’s been months since I went to see a doctor but today I went because I wanted to know the prescription in my glasses to get more. Turns out they were made incorrectly… I only have prismatic correction in one eye.

I can’t believe it! Tomorrow I’m going back to get the actual pair of glasses that I need to see again. These glasses are meant to correct my eyes. Turns out I wasn’t getting the correction I needed in my right eye this whole time. And it’s sooo lazy. My vision is actually great my eyes just don’t work together. But it’s always my right eye that wanders which totally makes sense now. There’s hope for more restoration! This news makes everything worth it. Makes me so proud I never have up because everything in my life might get a little bit easier. Makes me proud I’m sober so I can learn these things about myself. I could’ve easily walked into a bar to ask myself questions but instead I chose sobriety.

:brown_heart:
4 months 13 days

16 Likes

Wow what a strong and inspring lady! So happy things are getting so much better for you, massive well done on your sobriety, sending my love to you :blush:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: - Glad my story can inspire
Been a hell of a ride but I’ll take it lol

1 Like

Congrats on your time and glad you are making progress with your vision!

So glad you now know whats going on and are able to have comfort that the care your receiving is correct.
Im very happy for you.
Also congratulations on your 4 months and 13 days x

1 Like

Update:
I moved away from Atlanta to find sanctuary in a new town. Away from triggers and pressures, towards peace and open space. I found what I was looking for and more. I found healing in a new environment less busy, less bright and slower paced.

I found a doctor who listened to my story and gave me a pair of glasses that has changed my life. It’s been about 3 weeks since my vision has been restored and I could cry writing this.

The biggest change has been my mental capacity, there’s been a cloud of fog lifted. I can read again, comprehend, I’m not as delayed or scared. There was a deep sense of apathy that haunted my soul. Never dark enough to completely dull me; through these trials I remained but I was in desperate need of water and light.

Overwhelmed with pride I can say that I really looked out for myself. I feel my life has returned to me. My desire to exist and try and be.

I wondered who I would be after being plagued by such fear and uncertainty and I have learned that I’ve always been myself, now I’m just a new version.

It’s good to be here and it’s good to be sober :heart:

7 months 10 days

8 Likes

What a wonderful update to read today!! I am so happy for you. You sound so strong and in a healthy place!!! :heart::butterfly::heart:

Congratulations on your 7 + months and new glasses!!!

1 Like

Thank you so much! It feels good to be here!

My dad said the same thing, that I seem stronger and solid.

As always thank you for reading :heart:

1 Like

Next update:

I met with a surgeon today. The office staff was so kind and caring. It was different than any other time I’ve visited an office for my eyes. I felt different as well, stronger, ready to face the the world after the exam when my vision creates a world that is most disturbing.

He told me there’s no way therapy or prism glasses would have helped my case. He was gentle with his words but I know the deal, I know they’re crossed beyond any therapy can fix. News that took a long time to accept but he’s right, therapy hasn’t worked.

He said the amount of prescription I would need would result in 1inch of lens thickness. He wants to see me several more times to gauge the correction needed in surgery.

I told my boss about my condition yesterday in a way that felt comfortable and foreshadowed that there will come a time where I’ll be out for surgery.

Today’s been a reminder that I haven’t giving up even when it has sucked so badly. Not on my degree, not at work and not on sobriety. He said there’s an 80% chance I’ll have full correction in one surgery.

Here’s to 80%

9months 9days

5 Likes

I like 80%!! And sobriety!!! :people_hugging::heart:

2 Likes

Me too!!! I’ve been to doctors that baulk at the idea of giving me direction. This guy was super confident so 80% is looking pretty damn good!!

:people_hugging::people_hugging::people_hugging:

2 Likes

Lady, my fingers crossed for you, I’ll actually ask the universe to send you strength and peace through this. I got diagnosed with breast cancer at 7 months. So much of what I learned here and my recovery practice kept me sober and positive. Grateful to be on this path with you. 9 months of freedom!

1 Like