Things to Celebrate After Day 1?

I don’t know why but it seems…underwhelming. I don’t feel much of a sense of accomplishment, just bored. I didn’t expect balloons to fall from the ceiling but I think I need things I can celebrate beyond counting days. At least for now. Suggestions?

I’m with you, start of day 2 here. How about doing something small, but special, for yourself? Take a walk, go to the gym, have a long bath or shower, or buy yourself an ice cream and watch the sunset? You should be your priority now :green_heart:

2 Likes

I myself is trying to replace the drinking time with my own special time

2 Likes

What’s the alternative? Being shitty, miserable and fucked up?

I’ll take bored all day long.

Gonna take weeks to months for your brain chemistry to get right so don’t sweat it, took lots of time to get to the place where you realized you needed to quit, gonna take lots of time to get to where you want to be mentally.

Only place I’ve ever literally been where we celebrated sobriety is in a meeting of AA and my IOP class and here. Not many others will get it.

8 Likes

The chance at a new beginning and to make a new sucess story of your own. Every day is a day 1 to me. i fight it with the same pride and determination as i did day 1 …day in and day out…

10 Likes

Good idea!

Not what I want to hear but probably what I need to lol. Thanks.

1 Like

My alarm for the morning plays “celebrate” by Rare Earth. Every morning I hear the words “I just want to celebrate(yeah yeah) another day of living”. I sing it all morning long and that is what keeps me positive. All I need is another day above ground to celebrate, what more can I really ask for? Most definitely changed my attitude in the morning. Congrats on day 1! Here’s a balloon: :balloon:

6 Likes

I love that, “Every day is day 1 to me”. That’s some good shit Donnie, think I’m gonna steal it Bro…

2 Likes

Maybe try a meeting they help and you can continue your journey in sobriety wish you well

1 Like

I am back in day 2. This time, I am not going to slip! Just got serious about this sobriety thing this year. Made it 15 days mid January and thought I am just going to drink “today” and get back on it tomorrow. Well, that was almost 2 months ago. The night I drank, I got bored because I was basically sitting in my mom’s basement (seperate from wife and 3 kids) doing nothing. This time I am going to introduce myself to people in AA and go to a meeting every night if possible. If no meeting, I am going to plan something cool for me to do around that witching hour. Like, go to a movie or go to dinner (even by yourself if you have no one to go with), do something you would not normally do on a drinking night that you enjoy. That can be a distraction and a reward all in one! The first 5 days are very difficult for me so do whatever you can NOT to drink even if that’s eating a whole pizza or running 5 miles! You got it!

3 Likes

I find new things to celebrate…things that I was too foggy, self centered, numb…whatever…to notice.

The goodness of waking up without a hangover, having the emotional and physical energy to be a good mom, being able to smell and taste so more, the beginnings of not hateing myself so much…

Anytime my disease starts convincing me that I’m bored and missing out? I find little ways to indulge myself. Cheap flowers from Trader Joe’s, long baths with candles, music, and Epsom salts, a new album, a long walk in the woods…things I never even thought about before and that now bring me a lot of joy.

It gets better. That roller coaster of thoughts eventually levels out again. In the early days, I literally couldn’t go five minutes without thinking about a drink. Now there are whole days when alcohol doesn’t enter my thoughts.

4 Likes

Glad your thinking about AA meetings ,they helped me stay sober up to today so i hope you make an effort and go meet new sober people who have been were you have , and maybe socialize with some of them when you get to know them , met friends at my first meeting and still today we talk on the phone and meet for coffee wish you well

3 Likes

Now is the time to change your thinking on this my friend.
It sounds to me like your addiction is trying to make you change your mind. Trying to convince you that your not benefiting from this. Trying to fight back
Be happy and proud that you have a day. Tomorrow is another day.
Take each new day as they come one at time.
It’s going to take a while for your body to get used to your new life and in that time you will face many challenges to your sobriety.
:grinning:

1 Like