Things you've noticed since going sober

Just a bit of positive motivation (and random things) to help anyone along the way. Feel free to add your own :blush:
So I am now on day 8 and random things I have noticed…
I pee sooooo much! All that retention is going. I got to the point before giving up, that no matter how much water I drank during the day, I was so dehydrated that I wasn’t peeing much.
My sleep quality is far better, I stopped waking at 3-4am every morning.
But the biggest one - I am smiling more and am happy. Truly happy.

44 Likes

Good thread idea :bulb::slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve pretty much noticed the same things as you! On the point about smiling more, I’ve noticed I am becoming a little more patient. Before I gave up alcohol I don’t like to admit it, but I was short fused. Everything irritated me. I still have a lot of stress in my life, but I’m handling it better.

I’m more motivated to exercise. I still have a massive problem with my energy levels, which I’m hoping will improve. But my mood has changed, and moving more is something I want to do.

Overall feeling of positivity. Even when the chips are down, I seem to cope better. I look for solutions to problems instead of trying to drown them out.

I wish I didn’t notice this, because it makes me feel as though I’m being judgemental - I’m not, but my eyes are wide open now, and I can’t not see it… But drunk people. I’ve been the ‘drunk’ so long I know there is not an ounce of smugness when I say this, but witnessing people really drunk is enough to put me off alcohol for life. I don’t doubt I’ll be triggered again and again, but I know that it isn’t what I want for myself.

26 Likes

Yes!!!
I now see drunk people (online - tiktok etc) and used to giggle along with them. Now I scroll on…
I’m so happy for you that you have a more positive mindset :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes
  • i don’t have to wake up severely dehydrated
  • alcohol SMELLS on a person - for hours
  • better skin
  • Disappearance of mystery bruises
  • how much alcohol is in media/film & subconscious messaging that alcohol can solve our problems
  • intense emotions won’t last forever
  • more room in the freezer :grin:
  • less tolerance for inauthenticity
31 Likes

Lazing about in bed this morning and I realised…
I haven’t had heart palpitations in a few days!
No more dehydrated palps :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

Totally relate to the mystery bruises, I used to be covered in them! Little things like putting my coffee pot on, it was neglected for a loooong time in favour of wine (yepz in the morning). Less puffy eyes…not having to stand back from people so they couldn’t smell me…the list goes on and on!

12 Likes

Exactly that… Alcohol was the cause and solution to all our problems. There is a better solution…

11 Likes

How happy my daughter is
That i dont have to just feel bad anymore
How relaxed i feel
My life is not perfect but very peaceful
How much importance people put on alcohol
That i can be happy without alcohol
That ive gotten wiser and more tolerant
That im more present
I can appreciate the small things
That i am myself again
People come to me now for advice

13 Likes

I can think shit through, rationally.

Okay with things going sideways, as that really screwed with me before.

Can save & spend a bit on my sweetie and, without too much worrying.

Lots of people who are daily drinkers!

The ease of saying no to someone regarding boundaries.

Cool thread, thanks for listening!

10 Likes

It’s amazing how stopping insert addiction here affects us all differently.
I think it’s a good thing for people to see the potential outcome to keep them motivated - thanka for sharing yours @Smitty97

4 Likes

Hello everybody. I’m on about day 40 (April 26) and I feel good. I have other issues to deal with but the cravings for a drink are rare now. Keep up the good work sober people :metal:

10 Likes

Today (day 23) I noticed that some pigmentation I had on my upper chest/neck area has just about disappeared. I thought this was from the sun as I am definitely a sun bunny.
Interesting what alcohol can do to the body :thinking:

6 Likes

I’m tolerant of most things now that I was not. Most importantly, myself. Night all!

7 Likes

I have a sweet tooth now!
I don’t snore as much as I used to.
My complexion is a little better.
My sleep has improved.
No more waking up with guilt and shame.

11 Likes

No more lost weekends can enjoy them even relax.
No more twitching on hangover or paranoid about my heart.
Yellow under eyes gone and skin clearing.
No guilt.

12 Likes

Hi!

• I dont waste weekends dying of a hangover and cancelling plans.
  • I dont call in sick at work
  • I no longer smoke as I don’t drink alcohol
  • No more drunk arguements!
  • Anxiety is much better
  • I dont wake up hating myself
  • No random bruises/ injuries
  • I’m so much happier!
14 Likes

Running is way more enjoyable without a hangover or being dehydrated.

12 Likes

Yes! I forgot what it was like to run not just to sober up or get some of the smell off of me, but to run just because I love to do it.

9 Likes

Thank you for posting this! I relate to all of it!! I would’ve said the same things myself and I’m so glad to have read this and be reminded. Sobriety is truly a blessing :heart:

4 Likes
  • When I was drinking, smoking and cutting a lot, I was a lot in bad mood. I never felt happy. Because of that I didn’t find joy in things. My depression went worse and worse. Now when I’m sober I can find joy and I can fight with depression.
  • I never spoke to my negative emotions, I’ve drank, smoked or cutted them. Now I’m trying to speak with them and understand why are they with me.
  • Weekends became more chilling and relaxing, not full of pain because of being drunk.
  • Being less paranoid about my health.
  • Sleeping became MORE better!
  • I don’t isolate myself anymore, or when I am, I try to understand why I’m doing it and what happened that it caused me to do it.
  • I have way more money, so I can buy myself food or something what will make me happy.
  • Relationships with others became more easier. Still teaching myself that I don’t need to hide my true self from them and that I can be just myself and any time ask for support or laugh with them.
11 Likes