Thinking about the future

Hey everyone, so I am currently 17 days sober from smoking weed! I have been thinking about the future for me and how I want to lead my sober life. I picked getting sober cause my smoking habits were borderline addiction, like an everyday thing whenever I was free. When thinking about the future I don’t know if I want to cut it out completely, just have it as a delicacy like 1 or 2 times a month so it’s more of a “treat.” I know I want to get 90 days sober before I ever even think about touching it again. But is this even a good idea? Part of me is scared once opens the door for falling back into habits. Does anyone have any insight on this about trying to have more Moderation control after regaining control?

1 Like

Congratulations on ur 17 days of recovery. I totally get what ur saying and i applaud u for inquirijg about it.
In the early stages of recovery for myself, I had a hard time initally feeling like i could be clean and sober for the rest of my life. It scared the shit out of me to think that I could never use a substance again to cope, to relax, whatever. The thought would occasionally cross my mind in early recovery that maybe one day I will have control and be able to use in moderation but looking back over my 20+ years of addiction, that has never been the case. What ive come to understand is that once i crossed that invisible line and became an addict, i will never be able to moderate. I have tried so many times to control my use in god knows how many ways, and i ALWAYS went back to how bad it was. It never fails. Once i put any substance into my body, it releases that addiction all over again and that is why for me total abstinence is crucial for recovery.
To be honest though, once i got some clean time under my belt, i really began to enjoy life clean and sober. I hope u get to experience that for urself too. Theres SOOO many benefits to a clean and sober lifestyle. A life that i would never even risk now in thinking that i could control drugs or moderate. They truly serve no purpose in my life :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have 8 months of sobriety of weed. I have all the functions without weed. Cleared decision, more active, Appetite, and also not so groggy. It is possible to get to 90 days. It’s call self-control. I can pass a drug test. And even will be sober this 4/20! There is no “normalcy” or moderation to smoking weed. Either you smoke or you don’t! If you close the door on smoking, then why open it again? Ask yourself this, would you date your toxic Ex again? If its NO, then you got your answer on weed!

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your responses! I think you guys all just confirmed the small “angel voice” on my shoulder. I definitely can see me falling back into it and it’s just gonna be hard to stomach that it was addiction and I just need to give it up completely! Thank y’all for your encouragement it really does help! Here’s to almost 20 days of sobriety and many many more to come :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::blush:

5 Likes

No its not a good idea. An addictive drug that has well documented short term and long term side effects is not a delicacy or a treat. Its a one way road to failure and a wasted life. You have chosen the right path. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise should be sent to the same place where you sent marijuana.

2 Likes

Congrats on your 20 days :sparkler:

1 Like