Third time's a charm

I decided in March of this year to get sober. I drink almost daily but convinced myself I didn’t have a problem. I stayed sober for two months and I relapsed thinking wow I’ve been sober for two months, I must be in control of my drinking. How did I reward myself for not drinking? By buying beer. I drank on and off for about a week and again decided I really needed to get sober. I again didn’t drink for about two months. I again decided the best way to celebrate my new sobriety was to have a few drinks. Now here I am in July and I’ve been drinking since May. I’m going to try this again. I need to quit drinking. For my health, both physically and mentally. For my family, I haven’t had any outbursts of rude comments or being mean. I’ve been a jolly drunk the last few months, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have a problem. I can’t have just one or two drinks and stop. I have to drink until I can’t drink anymore. Whether that’s 6 or 7… Or 12… I can do it this time. One day at a time…right?

10 Likes

Thanks. I appreciate the support :relieved:

1 Like

Welcome! Yep, like you and @Becsta said…one day at a time. The best advice that anyone has given me so far is that you can’t have just one drink. As in, it’s not acceptable because it will inevitably lead to relapse. So those have been my two mantras to get through so far…one day and a time and under no circumstances can I have just one.

A lot of people on here have written that eventually you’ll think “man just one drink would be fine, I’m obviously in control because I’ve been sober for X amount of days now!” And that’s your alcoholic brain trying to trick you into thinking your okay and you can have iust that one.

But you can’t! So stay strong and welcome to the forum! Lots of amazing people here.

3 Likes

Amen to that. It’s truly like that too. Apparently I’m very convincing too cause I sure did believe it. Thanks for the advice.

2 Likes

Hi Steph. So twice now the same thing has happened so you know now what not to do.
Best thing to do is write down all the reasons why you want to stop.
Look up Toolbox using the magnifying glass above. There will be a load of info there to prepare you for the journey ahead.
And as others have said.
Just concentrate on now, today. It’s all we have control over.
Yesterday is gone, accept it, learn from it and move on.
Tomorrow we have no control over, what will be will be. But if we continue to live in the now and do the right thing you will find that you will create a new normal that you will realise is so much better than the old you.

2 Likes

Thanks for not giving up on getting sober, no matter how many small relapses :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words

1 Like

Thank you for the encouragement

Oh I hear you!! I once got drunk to bitch at my then husband that he hadn’t noticed I wasn’t drinking. Oh man, talk about dense! Lol

Sobriety is a process for sure. Realizing you need to make some changes and then implementing them can take time for some people. Figuring out what works for you and what doesn’t. Coming to grips with the reality that no matter how many days here or there that we successfully have ‘just 1 or 2’ or ‘don’t act the fool’ etc., eventually ALWAYS we end up righteously hungover, filled with dread, shame and self loathing and here we are yet again.

Finding that inner honesty and strength and knowing and understanding, really understanding, that we need to change and that we CAN change…was so vital to my journey.

Proud of you for continuing to fight for your self and your health and happiness. Keep at it!! :heart::heart:

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words.

1 Like