This could have been me

So I had a customer appointment at 9am this morning, at a multi-tenant office high rise. I’m getting signed in at the front desk, when I notice a guy step up to my right. Actually, I smelled him first. Booze. He says, “excuse me. Would you happen to have a mint or gum?” “Sorry, no” I reply. I get a look at him. Late 50’s, I guess. Nice slacks, shoes, dress shirt, cufflinks, looks like he slept in them. I think “dude had a rough night, and is now gonna try to wing it with a customer. Ain’t gonna work. Had I kept drinking, that could’a been me.”

Yep, sober is better.

21 Likes

Everytime i see Homeless addicts in the cities i get that thought, that coldve been me.

5 Likes

And could, but for the grace of our higher power/ god, still be if we forget the reasons why we are here.
It is nasty when I see people in these types of situations. I do look on them now with sympathy.

4 Likes

@Yoda-Stevie That was me on more than one occasion when I was a lawyer. @Dreams, that was also me, right after being a lawyer. Just some proof that this shit can, will, happen to anyone who continues on that path.

6 Likes