This is My Day One

Hi, this is my day one. I think I’m addicted to alcohol. Sometimes I think I’m over-dramatizing the situation, but I have done things lately that make me think this is a real addiction. I’m glad to have found this app. I pray to be free of the feeling that i have to drink to relax. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

11 Likes

Here are a couple of tests you can take if you want to see if your drinking would generally be considered a problem:

Remember that no matter what you score you are the one who knows if alcohol is causing you problems or not.
If you think it is you don’t have to wait until it has caused really serious issues to take care of the problem.

7 Likes

@Wonderland, a lot of people on this forum will say “if you have to ask the question, you probably know the answer” that said, you will not find a more supportive bunch of people to get you through your journey back to sobriety. Keep logging on, read other people’s stories as they travel their own journey and how they met their goals and achievements to help you through the more challenging times. Most of all, believe in yourself and believe in living a happier, healthier way. Good luck :grinning:

4 Likes

Thank you. I took both tests. Both say I have a problem with alcohol. I know I do after what has recently happened. Thank you for the resources.

1 Like

Thank you for the encouragement. I’ve tried this before, but only as a 100 day test for myself. I thought if I could do without alcohol for 100 days them I must not have a problem. Well, I succeeded at that challenge but I’m here again, worse off than before. Now that I realize that this has to be a life-long change i know i need support. I will keep checking in, reading, and reaching out. Thanks!

2 Likes

We are definitely all here for you!

1 Like

It’s a progressive disease so it will always get worse. I tend to like to know what I’m up against so I’ve researched addiction fairly in depth. If you got some spare time it’s always interesting to do.

2 Likes

I’ve been sober for 5 years. Then tried to drink moderate, it didn’t work out well. It’s a adiction for live (for me)

1 Like

I love research! What books, podcasts, etc. can you recommend?

I think im discovering the same for myself. It’s kind of comforting reading how others discovered it and deal with it.

1 Like

I passed both of those test with flying colors!! I guess I’m an alcoholic😉

1 Like

You are definitely in the right place. Here at Talking Sober you have so much support. First off, please know that you are not alone with the struggles of addiction. Alcohol was a problem in my life too. Notice that I said “problem.” Since alcohol is legal we feel that illegal toxic limits of its use to our bodies are passively okay. You are not over-dramatizing your situation. You may have realized that alcohol has indeed become an “problem” in your life as well, and could be ambivalent about (in denial) (and trust me we all have been their at some point with something in our lives) your excessive use of Alcohol. Realizing that you are powerless over alcohol is the first step. Seek help if you can, (attending AA meetings, going to outpatient programs, and getting an recovery coach…etc). All these things can help if you are really ready to stop alcoholism. Always remember alcoholism can be at different stages but each stage in our lives is only a mere time of use, how much alcohol abuse has destroyed within use, and when we realize that it has taken over our lives we will be able to definitely fight back. Alcohol is like an allergy to me. I have to stay away from it or it will ruin my life. Some people can handle it and some people can’t. Feel free to ask me anything and I will try to help you find a solution the best I can.

1 Like