This is my first real attempt and I am scared

Hello everyone, my name is Chere and for the first time ever in my life I’ve had to admit to myself I am an alcoholic and I have lost control of managing my life in a healthy way.

Ive been socially drinking since my freshmen year in college close to 20 years ago now. Like many it was never a matter of drinking every day. It was weekends and celebrations. Shots have always been my preference but I will pretty much drink any liquor, beer, and wine.

Over the years I have managed to ruin all romantic relationships due to my temper. For the most part I am described to be a nice person to be around. But with romantic partners once I am angry, I become violent physically and emotionally. I have never admitted to myself my drinking is probably a major cause.

As far as other aspects of my life I think I’ve convinced myself I am a functional alcoholic because I am able to carry out my day to day responsibilities.

I’ve had to go months with smoking weed due to drug tests throughout my employment career searches but I have never in my life gone 30 days or considered it.

Over the past four years I have found myself in a very serious relationship. Even were talking about marriage. On Sunday, Nov 9 that came to an abrupt hault. We are no longer together due to me loosing absolute control of my anger and attacking my partner. Normally we argue and we move on. This time was so bad…she has made a decision to end things romantically but says she would like to remain in each others lives somehow.

Over the years I have totaled my car due to falling asleep behind the wheel…I’ve put myself in extremely dangerous situations that have left me scarred for life but nothing has felt like bottom.

Losing my partner feels like the end. The bottom. Ive done and said such horrible things to her over the years and sadly some of the most hurtful things said I dont even remember due to being that drunk.

We drink together bt I have hidden HOW much I drink over the last 2 years. 8 out of 10 times I am always buzzed before arriving to her house. This year in particular Ive taken to drinking in the morning and afternoon. I will miss meals to drink and get buzzed quicker. I realize I hide my drinking and I know this needs to stop.

My life has so much potential. So yes this first attempt is inspired by losing someone so special but I am doing this for me. I have not shared with anyone but this community that I am going to step away from the bottle.

I am also a business owner and last week I was willing to let it all go down the drain. I went on a 7-day binge drinking throughout the day…this means being drunk at my own business.

I am a crossfitter who everyone sees so much potential in but clearly something health wise is holding me back. Arriving to the gym hungover.

I am a martial artist who many look to for leadership and guidance. I preach words I am not holding myself to. This needs to change. I need to change. I am scared to stop drinking but I know this is necessary.

Thank you for reading

12 Likes

Welcome, this is a great first step! Reach out when you need help.

3 Likes

Welcome to TS! It definitely sounds like you’re ready to commit to sobriety. That is a lot of heavy stuff you’re dealing with but it often takes life changing events like that for us to realize it’s time to stop for good.

I was terrified to stop drinking as well because it had become such a massive part of my life. It turned out that once I had a few weeks under my belt, I realized it was amazing. All my fears were unfounded. Everything was so much better. So just take it one day at a time and your sober days will start to add up. Soon you’ll see there’s nothing to be scared about and life is actually much, much easier to handle while sober.

This is a great place with a ton of amazing people, glad you’re here!

3 Likes

Hi Chere,

Welcome to this forum. As others have said, this is a great place and people support each other. Keep posting and don’t be afraid to ask for help or info or other people’s experiences. Hopefully, by sticking to this forum and having a look at the various threads you will not feel so scared. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this. I am definitely anxious but excited to take a step in the right direction. Possibly leave it behind for good. For now I know I am just not responsible enough to continue on. Thank you for your words of encouragement

3 Likes

You don’t need to be scared. U never have to be that person again. Getting sober is not always a cakewalk, but a crappy day sober beats drunk.

3 Likes