This is my journey alone

During my first few years of trying to get sober and constant relapse I held a lot of resentment towards my loved ones for not being sympathetic and not helping me more. I expected others to modify their lifestyles to accommodate mine. When they didn’t I felt hurt, and abandoned. I’d tell myself that they didn’t care about me. I would use that reasoning as an excuse to pick up another bottle over and over again. What I was really looking for was someone to sign off on my bullshit, and tell me that what I was doing was okay. I finally got sober without anyone’s approval, without anyone’s support, and without any expectation of people. I’m sober today because I choose to be. It’s no one’s journey but my own. It’s my responsibility to not pick up a drink and no one else’s. I am thankful for those people who I’ve met in recovery who choose to walk along this journey with me. I appreciate the love and support that I get from my fellow addicts and alcoholics, but it’s not a requirement for me to stay sober. Today is day 450 without alcohol and I feel stronger and more courageous than ever. For anyone who is struggling to get sober, and is looking for help my advise is this. . . Look inside yourself for strength, pay attention to what is working for those individuals who are successfully walking this path, be grateful for your smallest accomplishments, and be kind to yourself :blue_heart:

22 Likes

First off, congratulations on your 450 days of sobriety!!! Amazing work. You must be so proud of yourself!!

And thank you for sharing your insight. We are all responsible for ourselves and our sobriety, that is for sure true for me as well.:heart:

4 Likes

Thank you @SassyRocks. I AM so proud of myself! I’m proud of the people who continue to fight their demons and continue to look for a solution even if they can’t seem to put down that drink! It’s a heavy cross to bear, but they’re still putting up a fight :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It’s a good fight to wage!!!

1 Like

oh man, totally. i was so full of shit and self centeredness when drinking. no consideration for others and out of touch with reality. i try to avoid that today :slight_smile: congratulations on 450 that’s bad ass!!!

4 Likes

Thank you @les. You’re so right! I cringe at the thought of my behavior before I got sober. I was a ridiculous mess! :joy:

3 Likes

Congrats!! Wow…450 days is amazing! Keep fighting the good fight.

1 Like

Thank you @Lisa07! Everyday!

1 Like

This to was hard for me to wrap my head around at first. I tried and tried with many relapses. Then about two years ago I got it. I was up to a year and a half sober. That’s when I lost sight of this concept and had a drink. Funny part is I stopped at that one. Waited three weeks and had another. Both times I told my wife and it almost cost me my marriage and family. I have made many changes did another 4th step to really find deep resentments and today I am at 105 days! Thanks for sharing your journey. I think it will help a lot with the world in a crazy place. I know that if I hadn’t made the changes when I did I would not be back at home now helping my family during this time. It took me over 90 days just to be back at the house.

5 Likes

Congratz on your acomplishment! And thx for sharing. Truely wise and powerfull messege you send there :+1::muscle:

1 Like

That’s the key right there. That was a big step for me as well.

Thank you @MortenPL. I don’t know how wise it is though. It’s just my experience, but I do appreciate that! :blue_heart:

1 Like

awsome job at 450
awesome work at 105
you both are doing it

i just had a thought
that recovery works when the effort to change for the better is in action

insted of doubting yourself, be better then the day b4
insted writting about a relaps in sorrow, write how good it feels to reach a goal

in orter to be “better”
i need to put on my big boy pants and be better everyday

3 Likes

That’s when everything changed for me. I stopped being depressed and upset about it, and started looking at the positive. I have to keep reminding myself to keep that positive energy flowing. I don’t always want to & sometimes I want to throw a tantrum and be an obstinate little kid about things. I don’t though. I let myself feel bad for a minute, remind myself that they’re just feelings, and then I let them go. It’s working out pretty good for me so far.

3 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I love :heart: SO much of this. It is our OWN journey or path. Each day of recovery is a testament to our strength and self love. It’s not easy but we know it’s well worth it. You should be super proud YOU are making this amazing journey happen and worth wild. :muscle:t3:

2 Likes

Thank you @Dragonflygirl82! I AM super proud! My heart goes out to those that are struggling to put down the drink. God knows that I couldn’t stop for years even though I was really trying my hardest to do so. :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Well said, thats it exactly :smiley:

1 Like

Same here… it’s certainly a battle. Keep killing it!! :muscle:t3::blush:

1 Like