Thought of the day...intense emotions coming off drink and prozac

Just getting things straight in my head. So I’ve come off anti-depressants and now trying to stay alcohol free as I believe the two go hand in hand. Whenever I have tried to do this in the past what I have noticed is that my emotions become almost spotlit. The feelings I have are intense. I’m guessing this is because they are real and not being dumbed down by prozac and alcohol? From what I’ve read it takes a while for the brain to release the natural chemicals again after getting used to the effects of alcohol. So what I’m getting every time at this stage is this intense need to be alone. I don’t want to see my bf of 3 years and in the past we have split up at this stage and the cycle is repeating. But it feels like an epiphany because it’s at this stage I realise that it’s always me who puts everything into our relationship then I get really pissed off. Like these emotions aren’t being stifled anymore. Apologies for rambling but I needed to get that clear in my head and does anyone else get this??

3 Likes

When I went off anti-depressants, my emotions went on overload. My meds towards the end were actually making my depression worse, my anxiety out of control, and I was getting angry over nothing. Once I went off, it took a solid 3 months (maybe a little more) before I felt like I was adjusting better. It also didn’t help that drank to suppress all of the chaotic emotions. I think you need to give your brain time to adjust to no more meds and no more alcohol, it might be a lot to work work out. But stay strong, you can do this!

1 Like

I’ve weaned off it for about 6 months and haven’t had anything for around a month. It was hard to start with but think I’ve managed it x

1 Like

Thanks. Yes I figured that my brain was just getting used to it all. I’ve felt dead positive past couple of days and now I’ve just shut myself away in bed and don’t want to do anything or see anyone. Maybe this is all part of the process then x

1 Like

No not in therapy. …training to be one though! Haha! I went to bed and slept for 12 hours! Well I had feverish sweaty nightmares for quite a bit of that! I just feel kind of weird…I don’t know. I feel nothing I guess. Not happy, or sad or anything :confused: it’s weird but I’m just going to go with it. It feels like a mental detox…

When I get in that place, I make myself get in to real world! Nothing good ever comes from complete isolation and loniliness, not for me any way.

I get out volunteer, gym, church and maybe walk around the mall. Even if I do feel disconnected from every living person on the earth, I can still be a part of civilization.

2 Likes