Thoughts on Addiction

Currently reading Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav. Here are some thoughts on addiction that he shares that resonate with me - and may with others too :blush:

“You cannot begin the work of releasing an addiction until you can acknowledge that you are addicted.” - Do you drink/smoke/use your DOC even when you’ve said you want to stop/quit or when you know it’s causing you pain, sickness or suffering? Reasons for Addiction are different for everyone but the pattern of not being able to stop or have self-control are much the same. “Until you realise and admit that you have an addiction, it is not possible to diminish its power”.

“The personality rationalizes it’s addictions, it dresses them in attractive clothing.” “Recognition of your own addiction requires inner work. It requires that you look clearly at the places where you lose power in your life, where you are controlled by external circumstances.”

“Acknowledging an addiction, accepting that you have an addiction, is acknowledgment that a part of you is out of control. Once an addiction has been acknowledged, it cannot be ignored, and it cannot be released without changing your life, without changing your self-image, without changing your entire perceptual and conceptual framework and how you choose to live in this world.”

“it is our nature to resist change, therefore, we resist acknowledging our addictions.” but with change comes growth, learning and empowerment! Learn to embrace positive changes. Listen to your intuition and tap into your courage and strength within to move forward, to be brave, and change your path. Choose the path to recovery. Accept, surrender and release.

7 Likes

Wow, so much great info! Thank you for sharing…now going to get that book! :smile:

1 Like

It’s all so true. I like this especially.
Thanks for sharing what you’re reading!

2 Likes

I have a good feeling you will love this book Angie! :+1::blush:

"Healing an addiction is one of the greatest spiritual accomplishments.

Spiritual growth is the creation of authentic power; becoming the authority in your own life and able to make the most constructive choices at each moment."

In other words, your addiction shows you exactly what you must acknowledge, experience, and heal, with your own choices, in order to create a life of meaning and joy instead of a life of continual and desperate need.

Forgive yourself and choose to change your path, for you MATTER! :blush:

I love this last section the most! Thanks!

1 Like