Thoughts on confronting past behaviours

I’ve never gone to AA, however I think about the shitty things I’ve done in the past often. It makes me think of Step 9 of AA: “Make direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.”

I guess I’m just asking for advice from people… do you think this is a neccessary thing to do, even if you’re not in AA or working the steps? Does this apply for shitty things I did when I was on drugs as well? What about things the people didn’t even know?

We’re not a talk about our feelings family, more like ignore it, or downplay it. She even one time cried to my best friend at the time about my drinking, but didn’t talk to me. It’s weird.

Anyways, last time I visited my parents, I awkwardly told my mom I quit drinking. She said it made her happy, but that was kind of it. She doesn’t drink and never has. She hates it. My dad, one brother, and I are all similar in the way we have issues with alcohol, whether they admit it or not. So she hates alcohol. Anyways. There’s lots I’d love to say to my mom especially, but I don’t know if it’d just start something or be beneficial. And other people too. I’m awful at serious conversations because I just get overwhelmed and hate getting emotional.

Also, I don’t believe she/they didn’t know, to some degree at least…but should I talk to her about the severity of my past drug use? Or just leave it?

Any ideas or thoughts on this would be appreciated!

3 Likes

Yes, they are only suggestions not requirements. Also, there’s a reason it’s step 9 and not step 2 or 3. Steps 4-8 help you identify what needs to be addressed and prepare you for making amends, which is arguably the most difficult step.
You may want to work your way through the steps, with or without the program. There are online resources to get you started.
I’m starting step 4 on Wednesday :grimacing::muscle::upside_down_face:

5 Likes

That makes a lot of sense, thank you! Yeah I guess it’d probably good to just leave it. Just hope she can truly appreciate the person I’ve been working on becoming I suppose. :blush:

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense! I think maybe I’ll just leave it for now then. Congrats on starting on step 4! That’s awesome :blush: