Three. hundred. sixty. five. days

It’s been awhile since I have posted some deep, heartfelt status for all of you.
Well. Where do I begin? A year ago I woke up after a 3 day bender. Like any other bender, really. Not sure exactly what day or time it is. Not sure how much money you spent. Where the hell did my cigarettes go? So. I woke up, and immediately was sick. I never used to get sick. This was something fairly recent, in the last couple of years.
I head down to the kitchen for gatorade, water, pepto, ginger ale, and crackers. The minute I try to take a drink while im in the kitchen, I get sick again. Better take a container upstairs to lay next to the bed, so I’m not going to the bathroom every time I get sick! I didn’t hold down anything at all for over 24 hours.
The next day I decided it was time to start saving for vacation anyway, so I should take a break from drinking. 6 days later I still feel like death, and decided I should quit drinking UNTIL vacation. Lots of time to save money, and heal my very obviously damaged liver. 208 days. That’s all I have to make it to for my goal, then I am going to celebrate with a drink when we get to our vacation destination! I just have to go 208 days. Easy, right?!
Day 7 or 8, I feel better. I’m contemplating going out. Everyone says they will quit drinking when they are hungover, right? I call a friend and make her talk on the phone with me until I reach my home. I told her i just needed a distraction, but did not tell her why. I made it home , instead of going to the bar! Success!
I struggled a bit through the day to day for awhile, but I realized something was wrong. I understood being emotional from quitting, but this was different. Upon doing a little digging, I made an appointment with my doc to discuss my findings.
"I am off of alcohol for the first time in 20 years, and I think I am bipolar. My brain feels weird, and my emotions are everywhere."
Let me tell you guys. I have never cried so much in my entire life as I did the first 6 months of my sobriety.
I am now medicated for the last 5 months ish and feel… dare I say “normal” , for the first time since I was a fairly young teenager.
I listened to the "this naked mind: how to control alcohol. " book numerous times. Boring, but worth the read.
I do not attend meetings. My own strength, perseverance, some anti seizure medication to calm the brain tickles, and this forum were all I needed .
And the origional reason I quit drinking? To save money? Not only did i fully fund our vacation, but I will be debt free 2 whole years before I had originally planned. Debt free by June this year, instead of late 2020. TWO FREAKING YEARS!
Thank you all for being here. I appeciate every one of you who commented on my posts, especially in the beginning, when things were exceptionally hard. This has been an incredible journey, and I couldn’t have done it without you guys. Cheers to you all. Keep it up, because it is more worth it than you can even imagine.

34 Likes

Yayyyyyyyyy!! Thanks for sharing your journey with us pal:) oh debt free and sober… You’re my freaking idol!!

6 Likes

Congratulations on your own sobriety, @Benedictine! You are doing so fantastic! It does continue to get better, and it is insane how accomplished you feel after hitting each of those goals you set. Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Thank you for giving me a running mate. I am fairly competitive, so I couldn’t be passed up by you. :joy: happy 1 year!

3 Likes

It is like a very proud reunion. :joy: I hope your finances are looking better, as well. $100 a night at the bar meant I was spending ludacris amounts of money. So paying off debt was really easy once I quit paying 700-800 a month on my psychiatrist after i stopped drinking. Now I have insurance. :rofl:
I have been fairly quietly lurking for a few months, but I see you over there being a rock star!

3 Likes

Huge relief! That should feel great!
Thanks for the ice cream date, as well. I might go have some now since I’m thinking about you. :joy:

Way to go, love it!!

1 Like

365.Is.Awesome! Especially love the “debt free” part, for it is written: just as the rich rule the poor, the borrower is slave to the lender.

Freedom from addiction. Freedom from debt. Fantastic!

1 Like

Congratulations!:tada::balloon::fireworks: How inspiring!

1 Like

Good for you! I too am bipolar, very relatable!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing!! Congratulations :smile::smile::smile:

1 Like

Congratulations @Ashley_Sampson! :balloon::sparkles::balloon:

Very inspiring!

1 Like

Do you have brain tickles, too? :joy: I always wonder if other bipolar people feel it like i do.

Thanks, guys. It’s been a wild ride.

Super huge congratulations!! Your journey is inspiring. Debt free is pretty incredible, go you working on your goals. Thank you so much for sharing with us!! Keep up the fabulous work!!

1 Like

Congrats on 365. Definitely something to cherish. Carry on and be the strongest version of yourself. You are an inspiration for us all…
Peace and Serenity !! :heart: