Time Recovering Question

Hi! My name is Heather and I’m 9 months alcohol free! I have a question that I’m having difficulty navigating.
The past 9 months were achieved on my own and my own terms. Yesterday, I decided it was time to take a bigger step forward and attend my first AA meeting. While it went great, I was a little confused about whether it was my first day or not. I mean, yes, it was my first day in AA, but I’ve also done a hell of a lot of work on my own.
So, the question is: do I request my 9 month chip? Or is that like starting a new job and immediately requesting a promotion?

7 Likes

Your first day is the first day you chose not to drink, so you can pick up your 9 month chip on your first AA meeting. And welcome!:blush:

7 Likes

Get that 9 month chip. You’ve been alcohol free for 9 months.

Welcome to the fold. The rooms saved my life, gave me one really.

Hope to see you around more.

6 Likes

Go ahead and grab that 9 month chip

1 Like

I would get a white chip AND a 9 month chip. The white chip lets others know you are new to AA and it will be easier to find a sponsor. If you take just the 9 month chip they might think you e been around the rooms a lot but just new to that meeting.

At least this is what was suggested to me at 3 months.

But definitely, you’ve had 9 months of continuous sobriety so you deserve the 9 month chip!!

CONGRATULATIONS

2 Likes

Yeah, get that 9 month chip!

Around me there’s usually a chance for both those just starting and those new to the meeting to introduce themselves if they would like. And yeah, this one is always the weird edge case (some sobriety, but first time in the rooms).

If ya wanna say hi and get to know folks, it’s cool to introduce yourself either way while throwing in “…and I’m XX months sober today.” Just that little bit extra for people to know you better. :v:

That’s a great suggestion from @VSue, too, picking up up a 24 hour chip. Every day sober is a good day for a white chip (some more than others :roll_eyes: :rofl:).

3 Likes

At my meetings the white chip is not 24 hours…but rather a desire chip. All you need is a desire to quit drinking. So yeah, everyday is a desire day!!

Thank you!

You have a sobriety date, hang onto it with both hands! Go for the chip that marks your sobriety date.

2 Likes