Tips for early eating disorder recovery

So, a lot of people have been asking me to share advice about recovery.

A bit of background… I’m a recovered anorexic, bulimic, over exerciser and I also grappled with othorexia.

I’ve actually written a huge post on the subject, outlining everything that helped me overcome the above, for the purpose of sharing here.

I thought it would be easier to do it this way - hopefully it provides some useful insights for people going through similar situations.

In the words of Jennifer Rollin…

“Saying you’ve recovered from an eating disorder and now eat “clean” and stay away from “processed” foods, is like saying you are sober from alcoholism yet maintain a “healthy” relationship to alcohol by sticking to wine and beer.”

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing this! I really value reading about the tools and experiences of those who have been there. I’m also excited to have a resource like this to share when people have questions. There’s definitely commonality between eating disorders and other addictions, but sometimes people with other addictions overestimate the extent to which that’s true and offer advice that is a a red herring or outright dangerous to someone early in ED recovery. I have my own limited experiences to offer, but they would benefit from supplementation like this.

@Ashleigh Do you have any website recommendations as starting points for people to learn more? I say websites because I’m trying to avoid the barrier of purchasing print or digital media, as much as I value supporting that kind of thing financially as well.