Tips to not relapse

What do you do to not drink or use? I just reset my addiction. I had 9 days. Distractions? Activities? What do you do to stay on the straight and narrow?

1 Like

If you want to not drink, an AA meeting is a good safe place to be.

2 Likes

How does it work when my addiction is drugs and not alcohol?

If you have a desire to not drink, you are welcome at AA. I don’t have direct experience with NA, but if you stick with the winners there, you’ll probably have a better chance at not getting high.

I have been wanting to find a meeting. It’s a lot to finally admit it in front of strangers. I’m just always afraid that I will know someone or they’ll tell people about me.

I found it. I’m going to look up meetings.

2 Likes

Also an AA meeting finder app that’s pretty accurate. I agree on the anonymity, it’s kind of baked in to AA meetings.

2 Likes

You just have to dig deep and find the courage and strength to say no to yourself.
When you get those urges, distract yourself, go for a walk, run on the spot, get on here and talk to someone.
And as said above meetings help.
You are the only one who can stop yourself but there are so many tools you can use to help.
Have a read on here. Search your questions.
There are threads related with loads of suggestions.

2 Likes

Here are some things that have helped me:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to read and check in sober.

Check out those meetings, it helps loads of people here! 🙋

5 Likes

Maybe try doing the Annie Grace ‘30 day experiment’? It’s free and online. It is alcohol-related, but just replace that word with your specific addiction.

You can google it, find the URL, and sign up. You’ll get an email containing a new link and password to create your profile on the site (minimal info needed). Every day you get an email, video and answer a few questions. There’s a community to interact with, but only if you want to.

Be sure to watch the ‘Before you start’ videos. They set the foundation. I watched those and did the first day challenge on the same day.

Day 1 questions (after watching a few short videos) are ‘Why do you drink (replace alcohol with your doc) / what do you get out of it?’ and ‘Why do you want to stop?’. Then the daily journey continues (email; questions; link to your personal page on the site).
I found it works better for me from a regular laptop.
Just an idea.
Much love :two_hearts:

PS: I’m only guessing that it could work with non-alcohol addictions. Like with all suggestions and programs, take what you can from it :+1:

5 Likes

Maybe try a meeting they will help not a Annie Grace fan wish you well

That’s a really comprehensive list. Thank you.

Bookmarked and emailed it to myself :+1::pray:

Try making a list of all the things you need to get done and all the thing you would like to do. I was amazed how many “task” I accomplished pushing to stay busy. Replaced some door hinges, cleaned off bench, caught up on emails, etc. Keeps me busy and feel like I accomplished something. Was able to replace the shame of drinking with something positive.

1 Like