Tips to not relapse

What do you do to not drink or use? I just reset my addiction. I had 9 days. Distractions? Activities? What do you do to stay on the straight and narrow?

1 Like

If you want to not drink, an AA meeting is a good safe place to be.

2 Likes

How does it work when my addiction is drugs and not alcohol?

NA - Narcotis Anonymous :+1:

But it’s pretty much the same.
What else have you tried except stop using ? For me it works to start the day with pushups and reading a page from Just for today. It keeps me focussed and sets the mind…
I end the day at the same way.

2 Likes

If you have a desire to not drink, you are welcome at AA. I don’t have direct experience with NA, but if you stick with the winners there, you’ll probably have a better chance at not getting high.

I have been wanting to find a meeting. It’s a lot to finally admit it in front of strangers. I’m just always afraid that I will know someone or they’ll tell people about me.

They won’t. Don’t worry, they’ll all be in the same boat. Your initial fears, were once théir initial fears :wink:

1 Like

Where are you from ? There is an NA meeting finder app…

I found it. I’m going to look up meetings.

2 Likes

Also an AA meeting finder app that’s pretty accurate. I agree on the anonymity, it’s kind of baked in to AA meetings.

2 Likes

You just have to dig deep and find the courage and strength to say no to yourself.
When you get those urges, distract yourself, go for a walk, run on the spot, get on here and talk to someone.
And as said above meetings help.
You are the only one who can stop yourself but there are so many tools you can use to help.
Have a read on here. Search your questions.
There are threads related with loads of suggestions.

2 Likes

Here are some things that have helped me:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to read and check in sober.

Check out those meetings, it helps loads of people here! 🙋

5 Likes

Maybe try doing the Annie Grace ‘30 day experiment’? It’s free and online. It is alcohol-related, but just replace that word with your specific addiction.

You can google it, find the URL, and sign up. You’ll get an email containing a new link and password to create your profile on the site (minimal info needed). Every day you get an email, video and answer a few questions. There’s a community to interact with, but only if you want to.

Be sure to watch the ‘Before you start’ videos. They set the foundation. I watched those and did the first day challenge on the same day.

Day 1 questions (after watching a few short videos) are ‘Why do you drink (replace alcohol with your doc) / what do you get out of it?’ and ‘Why do you want to stop?’. Then the daily journey continues (email; questions; link to your personal page on the site).
I found it works better for me from a regular laptop.
Just an idea.
Much love :two_hearts:

PS: I’m only guessing that it could work with non-alcohol addictions. Like with all suggestions and programs, take what you can from it :+1:

5 Likes

Maybe try a meeting they will help not a Annie Grace fan wish you well

The only thing that really curves my addictions, is literally use my addictive personality and go the gym, and meditate.

Going to sleep early and waking up really early, so by the time 8 rolls around all I want to do is sleep.

But, that’s me.

Take the self energy and put it somewhere else, somewhere positive.

2 Likes
  1. Keep the cupboards well stocked with snacks and things to keep your energy levels up - feeling hungry makes you anxious and saps your mental well-being as well as your physical.
  2. Drinks. Find alternatives to alcohol when you want/need to relax - teas, hot chocolate, soft drinks etc etc whatever works for you. Personally I like the ritual of making a hot drink such as tea.
  3. Walk! Walking helps get you in shape, and is good for your mental health especially if you get out into the countryside. It also works to relieve stress and provides some ‘alone time’ when you need it.
  4. Structure your day. Having a routine helps, and the more you do it the more natural it becomes. Set your alarm and from the minute you wake up have a plan. Make your bed in the morning, fold up your clothes at night. Eat proper food at set times. Make time for some exercises. These are god starting points. Little goals that you complete, set you up for completing bigger goals.
  5. Don’t even think about going out with your drinking buddies and hope to not drink. THEY WILL DRAG YOU BACK IN.
  6. Start saving. Put away some money You would have otherwise spent on booze, see the amount you’re wasting.
  7. Buy a physical calendar and tick off the sober days. Even if you end up resetting your counter on here, you can look back and see all the days you’ve not drank, not caused drama, not wasted money, not damaged your health…
  8. Find a sober friend or someone to turn to if you’re struggling. If not in real life, come post on here.
  9. Practice patience. Being patient helps alleviate that need for a quick fix that most of our addictions and bad habits provide. Start a book for example or a model and finish it, even if it takes you six months!
  10. Learn to appreciate the simple things. You won’t get that rush you get from drugs and alcohol from these ‘boring’ things in life, but it will change.
  11. Find a new thing to get into. Learn about something, get a hobby.
  12. Do chores. If they’re quick do them immediately, if they’re gonna take a while. Set a time and an alarm for them. Don’t let little pointless jobs mount up and get on top of you.
  13. In general, keep your mind occupied. All the above help with this. If you find yourself sat not doing anything and daydreaming or whatever your mind will inevitably lead to destructive behaviour. Everyone has heard the saying ‘idle hands are the devil’s tools’. If that is true, then an idle mind is his playground.

These are things that work for me anyway

5 Likes

That’s a really comprehensive list. Thank you.

Bookmarked and emailed it to myself :+1::pray:

Try making a list of all the things you need to get done and all the thing you would like to do. I was amazed how many “task” I accomplished pushing to stay busy. Replaced some door hinges, cleaned off bench, caught up on emails, etc. Keeps me busy and feel like I accomplished something. Was able to replace the shame of drinking with something positive.

1 Like