Tips, Tricks and Sober Tools

Hey guys. I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where you can post tricks that you use to keep sober that might work for others.

For example:
Whenever I’m thinking that ‘I’m not an alcoholic’ I go online and answer truthfully one of those ‘are you an alcoholic?’ self tests using the units I was drinking at the time. It always says the same thing ‘Serious Level of Alcohol Abuse’ and reminds me of all my behaviours.

If there’s a thread like this then nevermind but I haven’t seen it. Otherwise what are the tools you use?

6 Likes

Hello, mostly, I check my to do list which I create at the starting of my sobriety. Because that mood which I find myself in at the starting point reflects my worst. So I am checking it not to be back to that hell. Thank you creating this thread.

2 Likes

Personally i ‘play the tape’ in my head of what and when will happen if i drink that first drink.
Always goes the same: first one is never enough, drink drive to get more, drink till i blackout, wake up craving more and do it all over again. Slowly getting worse and more dependant, more sick and alot more sad until its to much to take.

This is how i tackle cravings and thoughts of just ‘one’. And the simple fact that i dont ever have to go back if i dont pick up that first drink.

Hope this helps

4 Likes

This is also my go-to strategy. That, and I remember my sponsor’s words:

“If you play your cards right, your children will never remember you as a drunk.”

9 Likes

I remember how I felt at my deepest.

I didn’t do it yet but I could also go read my journal of the past year before I decided to quit, it’s nasty.

For now what works all the time for me is that I reminds myself that what I love from drinking is to drink a lot, pints and shots and everything. So I can’t have one drink because I never wants one drink, I always want more so one drink is already too much and not worth it.

This last one really work because I visualize myself drinking and I ask myself what would I want if I was drinking ? I in my deepest feeling, down there in my stomach, I know I would like to chug like I used to. So I know I can’t drink.

These days I also focus on what I have accomplished since I quit. This is awesome.

Great thread thanks for sharing guys.

4 Likes

Thanks this is a really helpful thread, just got through evening 2…15 mins to the start of day 3.:blush:. Its really helpful knowing that this community is doing what I’m doing too​:heart:️ (not doing it on my own)

I run. I began running when i first began recovery. It’s been a time where I can focus and reflect. Almost like meditation.

5 Likes

I used to have a big problem with lying. Many of us did. One of the terrible character traits of being an alcoholic. Early on in meetings, I had to practice telling the truth. It just wasn’t in my nature not to fib about something, no matter how insignificant…So I declared the tables at the meeting as being sacred ground. Meaning no lie would come out of my mouth there. If I felt the urge to embellish my story, exaggerate or one up someone, I stayed silent & listened. Even if I wasn’t ready for thorough honesty… I respected those around the table for theirs. It worked for me. And in time, I broadened that circle of honesty to include family, friends, work and eventually with everyone everywhere. Baby steps sometimes :footprints:

3 Likes

It’s important for me to remember that I am not responsible for the first thought I have of taking a drink. I’m an alcoholic so of course the thought of a drink will cross my mind. What I am responsible for is the thoughts following that first one. The “what am I gonna do about it” thoughts

Thoughts will come. And what is a craving really but a thought that we allowed to manifest into something more. We have to remember that as alcoholics and addicts that our first thought is usually wrong. Our disease is sneaky and patient. So it takes some time to recognize it when it presents itself.

Like this morning. I was getting ready to go to the fair with my family. Out of no where the thought of “a drink sure would be nice before we go”. I haven’t had one of those thoughts in quite a while. I kind of laughed in the mirror and said a prayer. And I texted my buddy about it.

“Cunning, baffling, powerful and patient” indeed

4 Likes