Tired and I want a drink

I’ve been sober for 24 days. I’ve been doing really well. But, I’m tired. I’m in individual counseling, I’m in marriage counseling, I’m extremely stressed at work, I’m financially stressed…and I’m just tired of fighting and trying to be a better person. I’m filled with anxiety about my future…I’m really depressed…and I feel really alone.

6 Likes

Drinking will not help any of those situations and you will only feel worse for it when you wake the next day more anxious and hungover

3 Likes

I know. I just really want to stop feeling for awhile. I’m so overwhelmed.

1 Like

While 24 days is commendable, it’s just barely the tip of the iceberg. Stay sober and keep putting in the work and see how it is at 48 days.

Enjoy the small things, it does get better.

5 Likes

Congrats 24 days is great keep it up. Do you read books I’ve read some very good ones that have helped with my anxiety and staying sober. The thoughts anxiety fears won’t go away but in my experience drinking never helped I would just feel another day behind, try to tackle one small step that you can feel proud of and and give yourself positive affirmation for doing it what might seem like a small accomplishment is very big especially if you can lay down at night and say thanks for another day of sobriety

3 Likes

A drink will not do anything. Going through these times will make you a better stronger person. If you are financially stressed watch some Dave Ramsey videos to make a game plan. As for marriage I cant help, since I have never been married. This storm will pass. Keep strong my friend.

2 Likes

Have you any relaxation apps or sleep apps on your phone? I know they don’t work miracles but might help temporarily ? Big hugs x

1 Like

Grab some Dunkin donuts and hit a meeting. It will at least give ya something to do for a bit.

2 Likes

I’ve never been to a mtg. Only my husband knows I’ve stopped drinking. :sleepy:

2 Likes

Might be worth a shot then. People in the rooms uphold the anonymity part and take it very seriously. Plus it’s better to be known for being sober than for being a drunk. Trust me. Like gets a lot better when you can walk down the street with your head held high.

7 Likes

I’m just reading the Big Book…I never have. Do you have any books you recommend?

I have a few relaxation apps. I’ll try that!

1 Like

Yes, for sure. I still feel embarrassed when I see a cab drive by not knowing if the driver knows me because hey, I sure as hell never remembered getting home let alone what the driver looked like. Ugh😶

5 Likes

I’ve read “drowning in addiction”, one of the authors was our motivational speaker while I was in treatment on our graduation days. “Rewired” is another self help step book I really enjoyed and helped me

1 Like

Thank you. I need to just take that step!!

I was banned from quite a few cab companies in Syracuse. Not sure if I’m still blacklisted, but it doesn’t matter bc I can just drive, and drive sober.

3 Likes

I’ll look the books up. Thank you :two_hearts:

Remember HALT , hungry, angry, low or tired? Have a glass of tea or water, eat something yummy, whatever you fancy, take a bubble bath and try to get some sleep. Have you looked in to getting help for your anxiety? The only reason you want a drink is because it will temporarily stop your feelings of anxiety but will increase them hugely in the long run, so you need to break that cycle. Counselling for anxiety and depression, coupled with medication and hard work to stay sober on my part has transformed my life :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I live in a town of 300 people and worked and grew up in a town around 5000 everyone knew me as the drunk even friends didn’t want to hang out with me except my drunk “friends” I still have anxiety of going out and wondering what people think and say of “that ol drunk” I had a massive alcohol withdraw seizure that everyone knows I was taken by ambulance to the er which prompted my decision to go to treatment now I can at least walk around town not caring what people think because there are 2 people that know I’m sober now myself and higher power when you can do it for yourself first then everyone will benefit

6 Likes

I know what it’s like to be sick, tired, and scared. In those moments, I reach for whatever relief I can find - even when, sometimes, that relief causes more trouble than it solves.

The trouble is, I then have all the added trouble to dig my way out of.

Four words:

Get
To
A
Meeting

Now, the long forn:

Find a home group, make friends, talk to them. Surround yourself with sober people with a successful track record of sobriety.

You’re not gonna think your way into right action, but you can act your way into right thinking…

It can and will get better…

I been clean 30 years. If I can do it, so can you.

6 Likes