Tired of planning to drink in my head

Hey.
Just reaching out. My partner’s going to work in about 2 hours. I’ve been itchy all day, tired, depressed, non-productive. I keep having The thought that I’ll be drinking tonight. I’m on day 7. It’s been a good a productive week for me. But today is rough. I’m having hard time accepting that today is rough and that I will not be productive.
I’m also pissed because my body hurts. I workout a lot usually and that helps me. But I ran a lot last month and didn’t stretch accordingly and now I pay the price (after having layed down on couch drinking for 2 weeks). I would usually go clear my mind doing sport, but now I can’t.
I’ll make some phone calls later to talk and try to keep myself busy. Doing chores maybe, the apartment is a mess. I don’t trust myself right now. Might not be able to resist. But I want to.
Anybody in that zone tonight wanna chat?

2 Likes

I’m going to bed shortly so not up to chat… But I relate to being depressed and unproductive.

Take alcohol out of the equation for a moment,what are you left with? My options either look something like a) get something done, even if it’s just for five minutes or b) accept that you’re not doing anything today and that’s ok. Watch TV, read a book, have a cry, have a bath, make those phone calls, meditate, listen to a podcast, whatever. Or c) go to bed and have a nice sleep.

If alcohol does get in the mix, what does that look like? I’m sure you’ve heard it before, but play your tape to the end. All you end up doing is delaying the depression, adding a hangover and increasing the non-productivity!

3 Likes

Thank @siand
Just writing the post relieved me a bit. Like earlier today I expressed my frustration to my girlfriend , which I usually keep for myself.

I just found and old manuscript about a story I started writing long time ago. I just started editing it and some ideas popped into my head. It’s clearing my head for now.
Thanks for your message and good night to you

6 Likes

Brilliant, that sounds like a really cool way to kill some time! I will look forward to hearing (reading) about it when I wake up in the morning :blush:

You got this!

2 Likes

Mate, I know how you feel. It’s tough at first. The amount of times I had to stop myself from planning a sesh!
Unfortunately I think this is all part of the process, we gotta sit with it, learn how it makes us feel and learn what distracts us.
And most of all, accept that it’s gonna be happening for a while.
Well done on finding the manuscript. Don’t forget that everything happens for a reason.
Perhaps now is the time to finish it, now you have a clear head.
:facepunch:

1 Like

Being retired and stuck in with COVID-19 out, I’m starting to realize it’s ok if I’m not productive. I’ve always been a workaholic. It may sound stupid but I get to feeling guilty about sitting around and not being productive. Especially now that I’m retired. And I get the body aches man. I hate stretching. And when I stretch it feels so good but it don’t matter I don’t do it all the time. If I’m just not motivated I get a meditation thing going on the Breethe App. Or plug in some music and just pick the smallest little corner of the house to clean. That’s it nothing more nothing less. Chances are you’ll clean a lot. Or find a good movie. I can always put on Pulp Fiction or some other Tarantino movie and then I forget I was a bum. Glad you just put it out here too. That’s always a big help. Good luck with the manuscript. Sounds cool.
:pray:

1 Like

We are human beings, not human doings :pray::sparkling_heart:

I had a couple of CBT sessions earlier this year, before Covid. I was stressing out about all the stuff I ‘had’ to do and I was just putting all this pressure on myself to do a load more stuff than I am currently able to handle. Accepting this has been hard and it continues to test my sense of self.

Through sobriety and the wonderful recovery community, I have learned the importance of things like taking it one day at a time, meeting myself where I’m at and living life on the terms it gives me. It’s a lot to learn and sometimes it is easier to apply than others!

@WCan how did you get on with that manuscript?

2 Likes

It’s still going ! Wrote 2 pages :slight_smile:

2 Likes