To the relapser, Vol 5

For me getting sober took 2 things: action and change. One thing I quickly learned on here, was that those who achieved and maintained their sobriety did something more than “just not drink”

I was one of those that swore I would never do AA, or any program for that matter. I actually said to my sober sister on here: “I just cant see letting someone dictate how I will live my life”. A stupid statement created by a false narrative I made up in my head about sponsors. @CaptAZ told me in those beginning days, to at least leave AA as an option. I rolled my eyes as I read it.

For 89 days I rolled with my own program. For 89 days it worked. I knew that evening, I could no longer do it own my own. I could see that day 90 was going to rough, failure loomed.

Failure wasnt an option. My first day with out a drink was suppose to be my last day on earth. I had planned to place a gun in my mouth. I actually had it there. The grace of God saved me. God simply said, “try sober”

I knew, as I still believe, if I drink again…I will pull the trigger.

Those first 89 days were full of activities. I set up a strict routine. I scratch made every meal. I set aside 2 hours a day to research anything dealing with alcoholism and addiction. I walked 5 miles a day. I journaled.

For the most part, I made great headway with my sobriety those 89 days. However, we know it takes a lot longer for the brain to re-set from addiction abuse. While life got better, all I was learning was how to fill the day with not drinking. To be honest, I think in the beginning, it’s a great thing to do.

Day 90 fell on the anniversary of the death of one of my sailors. I always blamed myself for his death. As an officer, I was responsible to bring him home safely to his mother…in my eyes I failed in.

Those first 89 days didnt quite get me ready to cope with that. It’s a tall order to re-learn how to cope with denied grief, misplace blame, and deep guilt.

Action and change. I took action the first 89 days. Day 90 I started the change. I had to stay sober

I was desperate to stay sober. I walked my happy butt into AA.

Here is the truth of the matter. I had to do more, or I would drink.

If you are constantly relapsing you have to ask yourself…have I done everything possible?

Stay sober my friends!

23 Likes

Thanks for the inspiration. You rock :metal::love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Just telling my story. Just anniversary reflections.

Can everyday be some sort of anniversary for you? Really appreciate you taking the time to share these.

1 Like

And be totally honest.

Why not be open to any option that will help you achieve the goal of not just being sober but also being happy and enjoying life?

I scoffed at the notion of AA, therapy, any group of any kind. I got myself into this, I can damn sure get myself out. Well I couldn’t. I was dark, I was always living with impending doom, I was all about the fuck its, it was fated to be this way.

I caved, did everything. I did therapy, AA, IOP, volunteer work. Life got a lot more brighter. I’ve been sober since 1/20/18 thanks to all that stuff.

Great post Scott, glad something I said helped a fellow hard headed alcoholic.

4 Likes

I havent felt that since I got sober.

1 Like

Great work on your journey! I too was a serial relapser every 2-3 weeks taking a binge at cocaine and alcohol and leaving myself severely depressed and disruptive to my relationship and home life!! YOU need to want to have the will to stop and work a program of recovery to allow yourself to change you will not do it alone and until you have enough pain! For me that is what stopped me and I follow AA !

1 Like

Will + program = sobriety. Easy math!