Today is Messing with Me!

Today is testing me, was the original title but it’s been used before so had to change it :slight_smile:

Two weeks today and I’m beginning to get irritable and antsy. I’ve already thought about getting a drink two or three times and it’s not even lunchtime yet. I’ve been doing pretty well so far, exercising, started a routine, eating ok and it’s beginning to slip. The last couple of days I’ve started feeling really shitty and I don’t really know why…

5 Likes

I get where you’re coming from; my first couple of tries was like that. This time I feel like it’s different. I don’t put the drink on a pedestal and let it lead me around by the nose.
There’s a video that’s on here somewhere; I’ll look in a bit, but it’s really good. It describes exactly what our bodies and brain functions are going through. I think it was a game changer for me, knowing it’s normal what your’e feeling.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Yo Jim.
I know that feeling, or should I say I used to. When I first got sober. Like you I had days where the desire to drink seemed to be on top.
I just fought through it, did whatever it took to. Often standing having an argument with myself. Saying no to myself out loud. It helped to verbalise it.
Now, I can get by each day not worrying about it at all. I don’t drink.

5 Likes

Hi it’s great your here and expressing your feelings it shows u don’t really want to screw up . There’s so much help out there to help with recovery. I found aa meetings really helped me especially working with my sponsor and having a network of people I could reach out to when the cravings came really helped me . It does get better we just need to keep working hard to recover. The illness will get us every time if we don’t put things in place to help . X

4 Likes

Another day where i aim to make good decisions an not let anything bring me down.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve just watched a chunk of it and it makes sense. The mad thing is, I know this stuff already. I’ve been here a dozen times before and every time I expect it to be different and I don’t know why, if anything it should get harder every time! I guess the brain does weird things we don’t always understand.

2 Likes

I’ve learned the hard way not to try and white knuckle it on my own. It really helps coming in here and having a whinge, just to take my mind off cravings if nothing else. I’m not really a group type person tbh, so AA feels a little alien to me.

2 Likes

It gets a little wordy but it’s good stuff.
I hope you can find something that makes it stick this time.
Getting past the urges makes you a little stronger each time. It’s worth it!

1 Like

I think I’ve got past the worst of it, but I’ve had an almost schizophrenic argument with myself after doing a pretty good job of talking myself into drinking because I feel like crap so what difference does it make? Why be sober if I don’t feel any better for it etc etc, blah blah blah.

I knew I was gonna feel like this, I’ve been here before but it just came completely out of the blue. I was fine up until probably yesterday morning. It doesn’t help I’ve not got much of a schedule due to being off work for a few days.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s exactly what it felt like for me mate. Don’t be worried man. We gotta get passed this. And you will get passed it. Believe me.
Being off work is a time when you will be tricked by the voice. I’m off today and a couple of years ago I would have been in the other side of a six pack by now.
Today I’m drinking coffee.

2 Likes

I’m kinda in the same spot. The first month was pretty easy with zero cravings but I’m laid off all of January and I’ve been letting my boredom get to me. Too much time in my head alone. Thinking too much about the past and what I’ve lost instead of what ive gained so far being sober. Gotta find things to keep you busy so the cravings dont get to you. Just keep remembering you’re doing this.

1 Like

I am having a down day to… 150+ days in… Tommorow will be better. It will pass.
Trust yourself and not your gravings.

2 Likes

What’s your plan for today?
I know for me it’s not staying alone too much.

Congratulations on 150+, that is awesome :+1:

To be honest, I’ve just taken myself off to bed for now. I’m gonna end up causing an argument in the house otherwise.

I’m used to operating on too little sleep as well, and I don’t always realise when I’m overtired and need to catch up on some Zzees. I think that is partly the problem.

1 Like

Thnx Bro, the point is… We’ll keep having these days I think forever.

It is going to pass and Tommorow we will be better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Forgot about time difference, lol.
Sweet dreams then…

1 Like

Thanks, I don’t know if I’ll sleep or not but I’m better off out of other people’s way for now!

1 Like

Yep, I’m sure you’re right about that.