Today is my day to stop

Hello All,
I’m new to the family and to be quite honest today is my first day sober. It’s not the first time I’ve attempted stopping alcohol but the second my day is overwhelming or I need to feel the burn I’m back at the store. As a matter of fact, nothing can be wrong and I’m back at the store to alter my current state of mind. I feel so energetic and lively and make people laugh when I’m drunk and it appears to not bother anyone but me. However, alcohol has taken everything from me and I’m basically starting over again from scratch. I have one DUI back in 2017 and haven’t gotten another but I still feel like it wasn’t enough damage done, I guess. I just got my apartment and I just pray that I can be strong enough not to fail myself and my kids again. Sorry for the life story but Thank you for hearing me out

15 Likes

Welcome Ressa :smiling_face: glad you’re here

3 Likes

Hi and a warm welcome to you :raising_hand_woman:
fall-e1418105140873

5 Likes

Welcome to the family. Whatever you’re feeling or going through…we know how it is too. You aren’t alone.

I am currently finding things a day to day proposition…just for today…I won’t drink. I can only focus on today. But in reading these forums I know sobriety is very hard at first but gets easier with time and practice.

4 Likes

Welcome to the group. Lots of good sober ideas are shared. Im still new myself.

3 Likes

Thank you guys so much…. Just with the little support I’ve been given today, I have the strength to keep going. You guys are amazing!

5 Likes

I have quit alcohol last July with This Naked Mind. Go check it out if you haven’t. There 30 day alcohol experiment is free and helped me tremendously after not knowing how to get out.
For the burn I recommend ginger beer. It was my go-to in the beginning, and it was a great alternative. Now I don’t even bother anymore.
I do have a day one today also, quitting cannabis. So I am right here with you. We can do this. Just never quit quitting, focus on the positive emotions and changes, and be so so kind to yourself. Give yourself grace.
Love,
Joyce

4 Likes

Oh my goodness Joyce yessss…. The good old ginger beer. The next best thing would be anything with Cayenne and Lemon. They have the mini drinks at Vons and sometimes 7 eleven. I will find a way to alternate if it works

3 Likes

Welcome! Coming here is agreat first step. Be active here, it will help you

3 Likes

Welcome to TS! Many of us have been exactly where you are at. I’ve been on this forum for quite some time, hit 2 years sober yesterday. It’s the best sense of freedom in the world!

3 Likes

Know that sobriety eventually gets better, I can feel calm serenity and happiness now and I don’t suffer nearly as much as I isedvto

4 Likes

You can do this! The first step is admitting that you have a problem. Congratulations! You’ve done that. Now you need to learn to sit with your emotions and feel them. I drank whenever i felt a feeling I didn’t want to. Now i sit with that feeling and try to digest why im feeling that way. You have to live life on life’s terms. Hit a meeting, connect with other alcoholics! The opposite of addiction is connection!

4 Likes

Absolutely. I still have my Big Book and I know that I can get a routine going. I had a year of Sobriety going and gave it up, just surrendered. NOW…. I have a team with me and this just May freaking work

3 Likes

I want to get there Ted because at this point I’m only at day 2 and I feel like crap. Insomnia, stomach pains, nausea, itching…… and it sucks bad

3 Likes

So proud that you made it this far because it is so hard for me but with a little push I just may push through

4 Likes

Welcome Ressa

I’m only 10 days in but remember day 2 well enough. Like you, my DOC was alcohol. Day 10 is one heck of a lot better than day 2 and you can get there so soon! Stay strong, lots of us are on this same path.

5 Likes

I can say I inspire to get to day 10 at this point. I go to liquor stores often enough for other things such as snacks and toiletries sometimes and the Vodka and right at the register. Lord forbids I just hate my life that day. I just try to remember what alcohol did to me and these past 2 days have been walking right out the store with my Doritos and Bottle of Water or an alternative like a citrus drink or lemon drink. My fear is that it may be a trigger at some point because it’s sour or spicy but I’ll cross that road when I get there.

3 Likes

At this point maybe see if you can get a bulk delivery of snacks and non alcoholic drinks so that you don’t have to look temptation right in the eye. I am staying well away from temptation any way I can… we can only be so strong, so make it easy on yourself

4 Likes

Hopefully I can get to the store tomorrow If I don’t get called into work to do that because that sounds like an awesome Idea

1 Like

Or find a new store with no booze. Sometimes it can help to switch up our routine.

Welcome!!

I know what you mean about others thinking you were great drunk, but inside our own head…what a different story. I was similar. Dying inside and hating myself. Not truly realizing how small my world had become.

You are worthy of so much more than the bottle and feeling worthless and down. There really is a great big world out there waiting for you. Believe in yourself and check in here often.

Glad you are here!!!:people_hugging:

3 Likes