Today marks day 1

Today is day 1 for me. I don’t like the person I become when I’m intoxicated, I feel like I lose control of myself and become a totally different person. I can’t stop drinking once I start. I’m hurting the people I love and I want to change before I make them all hate me

7 Likes

I’m in the same boat, it’s hard and I had to reset my timer again. But this time I started to drink and stopped because it’s not who I want to be. But can’t lie to myself so had to reset. You can do this

2 Likes

Welcome @Bea & @Nichole_Curran! Im on day 27…I know all about starting over. I think me going back into recovery are the reasons mentioned. Its quite a road…minute by minute we can all do it. Glad ya’ll here :blush:

1 Like

Thank you @Nichole_Curran & @KayRubes.

1 Like

I can totally relate to you. When intoxicated, i turned into someone i couldn’t stand… I pushed the people I loved the most away. And I not only started hurting them mentally, but physically also. And sooner or later, they will all dislike you. I have lost some people I love, but I’ve also gained people too. I started to put the plug in the jug and working the program of Alcoholics Annonymous. And boy has it truly saved my life! And the good thing is, you can change too. You can live a sober life with a little bit of work… and some days will be easier than others, and vice versa. But living a sober life is totally worth it! It’s not easy, but well worth it! I started going to AA, got phone numbers in the meetings, and started speaking while there too. I actually let people know what was going on with me and that helped tremendously! Getting honest with others and most importantly myself. Made the world of difference. I started calling people and they now have became a part of my support group. I found a sponsor and started working the steps. The steps have made me a better person and I’m able to respond to situations, rather than react. I’m not perfect, but better than I was…
So anytime you need to talk, I’m here for you. Also stay strong, you can do this!

1 Like

The first week is always a challenge but I’ve found the more I mentally commit myself and alter my perspective to focus on all I have to gain rather than what I’m depriving myself of, it makes it a lot more enjoyable.

Addiction is a complicated thing and there is always something to learn about ourselves no matter how long we’ve managed to stay sober. Having what I call a ‘sobriety six pack’ or a tool kit of things that help guard against triggers is a must for the first couple of weeks when your at your most vulnerable. And since we have a habit or need to take things into ourselves, instead of depriving yourself, just replace those things with beverages that heal you instead of harm you. Fresh juices and health tonics will start replacing the nutrients alcohol has depleted you of and every day you stay sober you are literally recreating yourself from the inside out! It can be fun if you let it. =)

1 Like

I had to reset also. Had 8 days sober (5 of them in hospital detox) but this weekend ruined me. It seems like I don’t know what ibwant. Best of luck to you guys!

1 Like

Today starts my first day but I can usually go three days without it until I start craving it. Is this normal?

Thanks @Courtney_Smith that’s great to know I have someone to talk to if I need it. I am here also if you need to talk :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s to bad @Melgag21 this weekend was very bad for me also. Best of luck to you also, we can do this !

@Naturehippy thanks for the great advice ! I will definitely make myself a sobriety six pack

@Bea day 1 is a good start. Tomorrow is day 3 for me and the alcohol daze is almost gone. I quit because I’ve been wanting to for forever. It just wouldn’t stick because I wasn’t serious about it. The person I become when I’m drinking is someone I wouldn’t even want to hang out with. That’s how I realized the fun in regretting was done with because at this point in my life I will lose everything, and alcohol just isn’t worth it. You can do this! I’m here if you need support.

1 Like

I’m No expert. But I’m sure the cravings are part of the addiction and if you can “ride the wave” of the craving until it passes then you won’t give in to it. When you get a craving grab a book, call a friend, go for a walk, drink some cold water. Anything but give in.

Thank you, I was wondering if it took other ppl 3 days to start the withdraw symptoms and would I go into seizures like I’ve seen on some ppl posts on here.

Have you been drinking heavily? If so, I would consult a doctor. I think that alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous if you have been drinking large amounts over an extended period of time. I binge drink once per week, so I have never experienced a seizure. But my withdrawal symptoms were usually what people call a hangover (nausea, vomiting, headache, stomachache, anxiety, depression, emotional rollercoaster). I hope this helps.

I will probably drink heavy a couple times a week but not on a daily basis. I haven’t had seizures but I saw on here that some ppl do and I wanted to make sure I’m around someone on day 3 when I start to go through the withdraw/craving state. lol. Heck I quit cigarettes surely I can kick alcohol.

I used to smoke a lot. I quit about 3yrs ago. Kind of at least. The urge to smoke would come back when I drink. They both go hand in hand for me. I even added a new addiction of drugs when I drink. Which I never ever did before. So for me, quitting alcohol means a healthier life of no cigs or drugs

Day five for me and it’s really hard but the thought that you are taking the first step and recognizing that you do have a problem is an amazing thing now all you have to do is become very determined to fight this addiction I’m very sure that you will do great

1 Like