Today's Struggle With Alcohol

I have been sober for a month and 26 days today. I survived Thanksgiving, it was a struggle, but I did it…
Today, my only thought is picking up a bottle and just having one drink… My soon to be ex husband has been berating me all day. My job hasn’t been easy. To top it off, thanks to my divorce, my kids are acting out, and I just got a wonderful call from a very unhappy teacher. It just feels like my world is crumbling today, and I’m having a hard time not crumbling with it… my mind keeps thinking, “what’s one drink?”

9 Likes

Your mind is trying to MINIMIZE how huge that one drink really is… that one drink allows alchohol to have a seat at your table when dealing with life… alchohol doesnt deserve influence over the way you deal with these serious issues. Alchohol is immature and selfish… begging for a chance to use your strength. Dont give alchohol the chance!!!

11 Likes

It’s the one thing you CAN control in this challenging time. You can’t control the actions of your future ex, or your kids acting out. You can’t control how hard your job is. You can’t control what the economy does, or the weather, or how the US men’s soccer team does in the World Cup.

But you CAN control whether or not you drink. You CAN choose to be sober. How do I know this? Because you’ve got some days under your belt. Every one of these days is there because YOU chose to put them there.

And if sobriety is what you want, then you can make it so. 100% within your control.

14 Likes

The only thing that 1 drink guarantees is 1) it will be more than 1 drink and 2) everything will suddenly be more stressful and more complicated and more awful. Stay sober. You need to be clear, decisive, and strong to face all that you have on your plate. That means you’re sober.

6 Likes

Thank you so much. You are ALL right. It’s something only I can control. It wouldn’t just be one. It never is. I get this nagging voice that says I can control it “this” time. Thank you for all the support

8 Likes

If you’re here, you can never have just one. That’s why we’re here. Yoy just need to say no to the first drink.

7 Likes

My relapses usually came after getting through roughy events. I can totally relate. What are you doing to stay sober?

3 Likes

Today I’ve been listening to music and trying to stay busy. Now that its night its always harder

3 Likes

Welcome! This community here and aa have helped me get to almost 7 months this week! Checkin here often! You just have to say no to that first one and take it day by day or even hour by hour. The key for me was to identify why i want to quit and what my triggers were.

2 Likes

How are you today?

2 Likes

Honestly, I have been better. Today seems to be REALLY testing me. Just got off work, had to force myself to pass the liquor store on the way home. I did it, but every part of me wants to go back. I’m so close to 2 months and I dont want to restart the clock

2 Likes

Hell yea i know that feeling… it doesnt get easier… YOU JUST GET STRONGER. I had to bike past the liquor everyday after work and i would have to cross the street so I wasnt tempted… you did a fantastic job today!!! WELL DONE.

2 Likes

That must have been TORTURE! I can’t imagine how hard that was! Most people don’t realize the amount of strength this takes. Thank you so much for saying that. I’m glad I made it home, one more day, without a bottle.

3 Likes

You can do it. At least you are present in your kids’ lives now. You’re sober and will be a much better parent to them. They might be acting out because of the changes in the family, too. All of you need to be kind to yourselves. I can see some tender heart-to-heart conversations ahead. Sometimes, teachers just want to hear a parent say they understand and will talk with their child. Long drawn out discussions are exhausting for everyone. I’m not saying or implying that happened by any means.
Anyway, more to the point, you are changing your life and it will definitely affect your kids. In the long run, this is a good thing. In a way, they feel safer now and can act out. They are trying to find that loving, understanding, yet responsive parent who will teach them about responsibility. You must be proud of yourself for your recovery. Your kids will feel that same sense of pride in themselves when they make better choices, too. I see a family healing. It just takes time. :unicorn:

2 Likes