Tonight I got to give back

I will be sober for 6 months on Monday, and I still find it difficult to speak up in AA meetings still. Public speaking has always been a terrifying experience for me as I am shy in even a normal setting. 2 nights ago, my sponsor called me and asked if I could participate at an annual speaker meeting. I hesitated, and she told me that this was part of my recovery…that it was time for me to “give back”. I had no idea what I was doing…but I agreed to go. So I showed up at the address I was given. Turns out it was a local treatment centre. There were 60 people there, most of them in their first few days of sobriety. There were 5 of us speaking. I was the only female, and I had the least amount of sobriety between us. I was terrified to get up in front of all those people and share my experience. But let me tell you… what an amazing experience!!! And all the thank you’s from everyone afterwards made it worth my sleepless nights and my horrible anxiety! I can’t wait to do it again!

18 Likes

I am the same way so I totally understand. I am super proud of you to conquer your fear. You have made a difference in those 60 people lives. What a awesome reward. You rock and you have inspire me to conquer my fear too. Thanks for sharing your story.

3 Likes

That is so cool that you did it despite your fear. That’s courage. I am sure that so many of those people found inspiration in your story, so you made a difference just sharing it. And 6 months is nothing to sneeze at, lady. It is truly inspirational. I wish I could have been at that treatment center to hear you.

2 Likes

Yes Anita i can relate to that. I have anxiety all my life and i get terrible panic attacks when ever i have to speak in front of people… Glad it made u feel great in the end…Stay strong stay sober…God bless you

1 Like

That’s amazing!!! I do H&I (hospitals and institutions) the second Tuesday of the month and I still get all anxious. And that’s only for 10 or 12 dudes. You spoke in front of 60!! You’re a flippin rockstar!!! It’s good too that you were right there with some of them in sobriety time. That gives them hope. Sometimes even more than an old timer would because you show them those first days, weeks and months are possible. They need your story and your hope.
You doing that showed real courage pal!! Thank you for your service😉

3 Likes

Way to go!!
That is so awesome!!!

:fist::call_me_hand:

1 Like

@Anita_Jean - I love this so much! I made it to 21 days today - largely because I am soaking up the stories of people in meetings. Six months is a huge freaking big damn deal. I know those 60 people were inspired by your courage and your story. Thank you for doing this. You totally give me hope for the better life I’m only beginning to see.

1 Like