Took a step back

I got fired yesterday. I have never been fired in my life from a job. Despite all of my coworkers assurances that it is a management issue not a fail on my part…

I feel so defeated. Heart broken. Like a failure.

I took a chance on changing careers, felt like I finally found my happy place, then it was all taken away.

Then I failed again. Found myself at the bottom of a bottle of vodka last night crying myself to sleep. Boom there goes my sober counter. I reset it…

Gonna try and move forward today. But I’m also having these overwhelming feelings of what’s the fucking point.

I felt so good when I was sober. Why did I do that :pensive: Why do I do that :pensive: and why can’t I stop crying.

6 Likes

I’m sorry that you lost your job,that in itself is a shitty place to be butttttt it could be alot worse,hit that reset button and what your going thru take it as a place you can grow from ,there’s other jobs in the world but there’s only one you,put your feelers out for another job that suits you and carry on with your recovery ,like you said you felt good when you weren’t drinking,keep going you can do it.x

3 Likes

I’m so sorry your having a hard time . You havnt failed at all your just having a bloody hard time . Please try and get a good night’s sleep it will make u feel better then u can start your day with a clear head and start job hunting. Maybe this is a chance to find a better job then before. You know how good sobriety feels so please get back into it . The bottle never helps but u know that deep down x

3 Likes

It is not you. I’ve moved jobs many times. It is a normal course of business and provides you an opportunity to start over. New office, new coffee, new workmates, etc. Thank you for sharing your situation, but no worries needed.

4 Likes

Hold your head up high! This is my greatest fear starting my sobriety is that there will be an emotional obstacle and I will not be able to handle it sober I will numb it by picking up the drink. Hold your head up high! You can’t stop crying because you lost something that was so important to you your sobriety. Just think about before you had your sobriety he didn’t have that overwhelming feeling of wanting to cry when you woke up hungover the next morning. But you have evolved to know what’s best for you reset and rebuild. :muscle:

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the job loss. I’m not surprised you turned to booze; it’s fairly common. I find that I really need to step back from the situation and try to get out of my own head. Weigh up the scenarios: “will I feel better about this if I started drinking?” My mind goes to: “you’ll feel hungover, anxious and 100 times worse about the situation tomorrow”.

I’m sure you’ll find a new job and good luck with the sobriety. Sounds like you were doing well before the job loss and I’m sure you’ll get back on track.

3 Likes

Reset button. It is the "first positive step to a better life " button. Hit it- and you’ve already done a good thing.

I’ve had a dogshit month full of dumped contracts, and waffling clients, and relapses. But we can do it. Let’s do it.

2 Likes

You’re gonna be ok, I know it doesn’t feel that way but it will. I feel your pain and sadness; this thing called life is hard! :hugs::bouquet:
Glad you’re still here!

2 Likes

So you had to reset.There are no failures, only lessons. Learn from this.

Life is filled with bumps in the road, and as alcoholics we have to learn to navigate those bumps without the bottle. This is the universe offering you a “teachable moment”. Use this opportunity to think about how you were feeling before you drank, what you were thinking, and make a plan for how you’d do it different next time so it won’t happen again.

Life is a b*tch of a teacher, it tests first then teaches the lesson. The good news is that you reached out and have this great community to support you! You simply need to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, hit reset, and get back to working the program. We’re here for you!

BTW - I know your feelings. I was let go last month, right before Christmas. I had 10 days sober at the time, then had to reset. I’ve reset again since but continue to journal, read and post here, go to meetings, work on my life plan, and take strides to make 2020 my year to shine! You’ve only failed when you stop trying. We believe in you!

3 Likes

That’s a rough thing to process so early on in sobriety. You haven’t even had the time to build up your sober muscles.

There is always a reason for things, though the why of it all can seemingly take forever to figure out.

Pick yourself up, shake it off and start again. Find some tools to throw into your sobriety tool box, so that next time something tough happens, you’ll have something to fall back on. Like here, for instance. Next time, come here and bitch it out.

I know this first-hand. I tend to crawl into my isolation when bad things happen. Like the others have said, learn from this and carry on.

1 Like

Being fired. I relate. I’ve been there. It really, really sucks. I relate to those feelings of defeat. The morning after I was fired I was drinking a beer in the bathtub. Looking back, my reaction to the rejection was all about shame. All those bathtub beers never helped a thing in the long run. Just temporary distractions. I’m going on day 7 now. My motivation lies in avoiding reckless behaviors and hangovers. Drinking is predictable. Being alcohol free leaves room for happy surprises. I wish us well.

3 Likes

Being fired was the best thing that ever happened to me. I say this not to minimise your current feelings, but to give you hope. I was broken when I lost my job. I had worked my way out of homelessness, and when I had just finally found a place to live at a price I could afford, the carpet was pulled from underneath me. You can numb the horrible feelings you’re experiencing with vodka, or you can take those feelings and channel them. Let all the anger, sadness and fear light a fire inside of you. You are now free to take on something bigger and better with your work and your life. Get busy brain-storming. Envision where you want this new chapter in life to take you, and how you are going to make it a reality. Don’t let those managers take your sobriety from you too. They don’t deserve that much power. I promise some day you will look back and laugh at this.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry about your job, it’s a real hit to the ego, however this could be the best thing that happened to you in terms of finding a new career path . I watched a YouTube video on Dwayne Johnson called motivation (I think ) ; he talks about his dream of being a professional footballer being shattered , he couldn’t believe it but he talks about how in hindsite it was the best thing that happened to him as look where he is now. The most common thread I’ve been researching on getting sober is exercise, I found a gym I love it has a variety of classes- I plan to hit it hard once my membership unfreezes next week. I had to reset my sober timer yesterday , I’m just a bored housewife :stuck_out_tongue: no reason to be , as I have a lovely craft room full of paints , and sewing machines which I’ll turn too rather instead of the beer fridge. So although the hurt and knock of loosing your job is raw , this could be a hidden opportunity to guide you in a new direction. Hang in there , you’ll feel better soon. Treat yourself to a massage or reflexology and unwind in a different way. The healing power of touch goes a long way x I’ve been sober before 18 months the last time , and I’d go for reflexology to reward and nurture myself at certain intervals . Take care

2 Likes

I lost my job in early sobriety. I held my head up high and started looking for a new one immediately. I was so clear headed and nothing was going to stand in my way. I had confidence that I never had while drinking and drugging. I got a new job 2 weeks later.

You deserve better. Pick yourself up and go get em. Be positive! There will be an employer out there that will appreciate what you have to offer.

4 Likes

Hope it appears - motivational video by Dwayne Johnson on achieving your dreams

One step back does not undo all the progress you’ve made so far. Hop right back on the train! I’m sorry about your job… I was fired from what I thought was my dream job, and then I had the hardest year of my life. Now I am in a better job that pays more and gives me way more personal satisfaction than I ever had before. I’m sure your ship will come in, too!