Toughest test to date

Hello everyone,

First time poster. I’ve begun this journey like many of us, to make a change and become better people. I’m on day 317 and it has felt great to regain control of my life and emotions, however I’m going through a tough test. My father is gravely sick and it appears we’re at the point of keeping him stable and on machines for the rest of his life or removing him from the ventilator and allowing him to potentially pass. I know that I want to remain sober but I know there are dark and trying moments ahead. Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

23 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about you father. :pray:t3: :pray:t3::pray:t3: Sending you strength and prayers.

I’m sorry about your father, it’s a really difficult situation. Sending all my positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Unfortunately I’m not much of a helper here, I don’t even know what to say. But I do know that the best you can do for yourself and the other ones around is keep staying sober during this hard time.

1 Like

Hello, and welcome! I am so sorry for your pain. Just remember that alcohol is not a problem solver. It is a problem causer. You know in your heart that there is no sense in layering another bad thing to an already complicated and heartbreaking situation. You may get a couple of hours of escape but it will inevitably be followed by days of regret and physical yuck from the hangover. If this is your Dad’s time, be fully present for everyone involved including yourself. Don’t pair this experience with your father with the memory of a relapse. You know that regret would haunt you. Just one gal’s opinion. My thoughts will be with you.

4 Likes

Stay strong babes
I am so sorry to hear about your dad

When your feeling down or hear that voice in your head suggesting you have a drink …stay strong
Dont allow alcohol help as we all know it dont it’s a mood acceleration and will make you feel worse
Stay on that wagon
You got this

The most we can do at times like this is make em proud, he’s always going to be in your heart so keep walking the true path. :pray:

1 Like

Man, I’m so sorry to hear about your father. I lost my dad 7 years ago to lung cancer, he was 53. I drank myself into oblivion for a couple of years after it.

Your drive to stay sober will result in healing faster, and not self destructing. Im glad you’re reaching out, we’re all here for support.

So sorry to hear about your father bro… You have to stay strong though and reverting back to drinking will bring absolutely nothing. Nothing but even more pain and regret. Your father must be proud that you finally kicked the bottle. Honor his memory by continuing living a full, blessed life, clear minded. You also have to think of your family as well and be Strong for them. Guide them and comfort them in this most difficult of times. Be the Rock that they need to lean on bro. I’ll keep you and your father and the rest of your family in my prayers. Stay Strong!

1 Like

Man it has to be hard. It’s hard to stay sober on its own now you have this with your dad. Stay strong man pray, God is always there. Congrats on 317 days.

I’m so very sorry to hear this :disappointed: I lost my mother a year ago tomorrow. If there’s one thing I feel good about, it was being able to be clear, present and there for her and my family during her weeks in the icu. Sending you so much love right now. Being there sober for your father and for yourself can help you negotiate the difficult moments ahead. Please don’t hesitate to reach out here or with a private message if you need buddy :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that mate. Keep checking in on this app and steer clear of alcohol. Just think how horrendous that first hangover would feel after 317 days off…

Thank you all for the words of encouragement and strength. I’m holding strong but I know tougher days are ahead and I’m trying to prepare myself. This group/ app has been far more beneficial than I ever imagined.

7 Likes

Congratulations on 318! I’m sorry to hear about your dad. No matter what happens, a clear mind will be far more useful than a cloudy, drunken mind. Honor his life by living yours to the fullest, that’s all he’d ever want from you. Prayers during these tough times brother. :pray:t5:

1 Like

Drinking won’t change the situation. It will only change how you handle it. Stay strong. Choose to be fully present - with no regrets. I’m sorry you’re losing your dad. That would be very difficult and heartbreaking. Saying a prayer for you. :pray:t2:

1 Like

Hey there. I wanted to check in to see how you did today. I hope you’re with those you care about and finding some strength :yellow_heart:

Welcome brother.

Times will always have rough patches, because time marches on. It’s a constant and we are matches that burn bright but for a few seconds in the grand scheme of time.

My uncle was put into hospice today, he’s got tumors and cancer all over. Was still working a short 3 months ago. I’m not close to him like a son would be to his father, but it still stings nonetheless. You’re gonna be needed, and you’re gonna want to be sober for it friend. Grief is a process that alcohol only hinders and delays.

Stay strong friend, keep trudging, keep living.

Praying for you and your family. Very tough indeed

I’m so sorry to hear about your father. It’s definitely times like these that test a person’s strength. But you know what you want, and 317 days is awesome. I obviously don’t know your father, but I can only imagine that he must be proud of those 317 days. If you haven’t already, I’d say to make a list of things you can do when you feel overwhelmed with grief and darkness. Refer back to that list if you feel the urge to dull the pain through previous addictions, that way it’s right there for you and you don’t have to try to think through the haze of sadness.

Drink will not make it easier, actually, it’ll just make it way way way harder. So don’t go there.