Tried drinking like a normal person. Still miserable

I’ve been pretty miserable for the past few months since I lost my baby and I thought a drink would help but it just got rid of my community. I don’t know if I’m an alcoholic, but I’m definitely an addict. I would have had 3 years clean and sober tomorrow but I don’t. And I’m still depressed. Drinking didn’t solve anything, I’m still lonely and sad. Just thought I’d share.

5 Likes

So sorry for the loss of your baby. I hope you’re able to find the strength to cope cleanly. Glad you’re back! Keep showing up!

1 Like

I like that saying don’t know if I’m alcoholic but definitely addicted, that’s me as well, I’ve tried moderation but no it never happens, ones not enough and two is too many, then I get emotional or argumentative, miserable with drink and miserable with out. But it does get better in time with out it, has I know when I went 10 months alcohol free. I starting again almost 10 days. This community here really helps. X

2 Likes

I am so sorry about your baby. My heart goes out to you.

For me it doesn’t matter what I call myself or not, I definitely had an unhealthy and destructive relationship with alcohol. Some people find calling themselves an alcoholic an important part of their sobriety and recovery. That is okay too. The key, IMHO, is the not drinking part and the looking at the whys of your use. I think you know it doesn’t help, it just makes us feel worse.

Please take care of yourself. :heart:

4 Likes

Took me a long time to accept this truth. I don’t call myself an alcoholic or even a recovering alcoholic. I am a non-drinker and choose to stay that way.

I won’t drink, because I don’t drink.

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss all I can say is try to greive without drinking as when u stop u will realise u didn’t greive at all and you will have to go thru it all again .I know this because I’ve had losses and it’s happened to me.pls stay connected this community I have come to understand is like gold dust .xx

4 Likes

I went through the same struggle for a while. Ultimately if you’re like me, you don’t truly want to drink normally. I don’t like the taste, the lethargy of coming down from a buzz. It was always drunk or bust.

You know, plenty of people don’t drink. Putting poison into yourself isn’t a human right. There’s a big life out there. If you’re drinking instead of dealing with something else, you’re doomed.

Moderation might be possible for some people but for many of us, alcohol isn’t our main problem and managing alcohol use isn’t enough.

1 Like

I say don’t worry about the labels. It’s fanatastic that you’ve come to the understanding that alcohol didn’t fix how you were feeling and now you can make a plan for how to deal with that.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

2 Likes