Trigers we all have them

So I myself deal with many triggers that make me want to drink,a lot of music,spending time with friends or going on any vacation,Just the other day my Fiance & I was driving around looking at Christmas Lights she was doing the driving nd for a split second in my mind just by being with her and having normal fun my brain tried to momentarily convene its self that it would be so much funner if I was drinking nd had a good buzz going,I did not drink cause I am starting to realize the tricks of addiction but at the same time itā€™s hard to look at life without ya know ? Anyways stay strong and Iā€™m curious if anybody can relate to this ! God Bless

6 Likes

we just have to retrain our brains. its always a work in progress but gets easier as the days rack up. x

1 Like

For me itā€™s boredom and lonliness. Stress and anxiety us also huge with 2 special needs kids. I am 121 days sober and trying to get through each day without losing it. Another trigger I didnā€™t think would bother me is all the Damn drinking commercials for the holidays.

1 Like

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m 45 days dry. My last relapse I woke up really happy and my brain said have a drink and be even happier, so I did and it made me feel shit, I now know I have absolutely nothing to gain from alcohol and will remember that feeling forever. I hate to say this but I think some people have got one more relapse in them until they truly realise what they want.

5 Likes

Yes I understand that completely.

1 Like

Loneliness
Boredom
Emotional pain
Anger

But tbh I,l addict brain will give us any excuse to go use ,we just need to be stronger and louder than the voices in our subconscious.xx

Anger and resentment were my two triggers! Luckily, I have awesome coping skills and I can now forgive. After a year of sobriety I have learned how to deal with my issuesšŸ˜‰

1 Like

To be honest, my ā€œtriggersā€ could be just about any emotion out thereā€¦whether it be sad, mad, happy, etc. I wanted to drink everyday that ends in Y :joy: But stress definitely made it that much worse.

Donā€™t give in to those feelings when they rear their ugly heads. I canā€™t tell you how many times Iā€™d been having a perfectly enjoyable day when that feeling surfacesā€¦like, ā€œthis would be so much better with a drink or two!ā€ Bullshit. Itā€™s funny how we conveniently forgot all the horrible shit that brought us to this placeā€¦But Iā€™ve had enough relapses to know where that ā€œone or twoā€ will take me.

Give it time. It does get easier as you create new habits. Iā€™m 5 months in and Iā€™m finding that I donā€™t go to that place as much. It happens, donā€™t get me wrong, but I can easily push those feelings out with thoughts of what would actually happen if I picked up :disappointed:

Anger. Boredom
Loneliness.
Other people drinking.
FB ads about drinking
Photos of friends drinking
People drinking on TV
ā€¦ Iā€™m pretty new to sobrietyā€¦just over a monthā€¦ I really have to avoid places or people with alchoholā€¦ Iā€™m just not strong enough yet. Hibernating a lot. :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Family
Family
Familyā€¦

Yes those drinking commercials sure do appreciate them as well !