Triggers and coping mechanisms

Hi guys.
I’m new to this app, but I think it’s amazing hearing everyone’s stories, and it makes you feel less alone in the big wide world.
What is everyone’s triggers /time of day etc and what you do to not drink when you feel like this .and worst drunken moments?
I appreciate not everyone likes to disclose but for those who are :blush:
Sending happiness and hope to you all.
Xx

1 Like

Welcome to the community,I’m just bumping this thread back up,I wouldn’t neçesarily describe things that made me use as triggers but regardless of that I would say boredom and being around certain people though I can only blame myself for actually using. Any time of day or in fact a day ending in y was a good day for me to use drugs unfortunately. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Big trigger for me was after work, or time alone at home. I made plans to have af beverage(s) on hand, and clear activities to do.

My problem isnt drinking but my biggest triggers are the night time and boredom. The only thing that has worked for me is just doing some digging within myself and trying to realize why I find it so hard during those times. Having a good understanding of yourself and your behaviours can help you feel more in control. Good luck with your sobriety!

1 Like

Triggers for me are everything. After work, weekends, golf, summer, skiing, bbq, certain songs, vacations, friends . I mean it’s never ending. Drinking is fun but I dont know when to quit and go home that’s my problem and it gets me trouble with the law and my family. I dont want to end up in jail or in the streets and jobless and for those reasons I’m trying to be sober.

Welcome!!! My biggest triggers are stress and having money. But I notice the time of day where I usually get thoughts of using is in the afternoon around 4pm. Strange I know lol I like to start my morning with a workout and then check in on here along with doing my morning readings. I try to be productive throughout the day and do some reading on here to stay connected to other people who are on the same path as me. When I remember to, I use grounding techniques and deep breathing to keep me calm and focused instead of stressed and being overwhelmed.