Triggers- Daily? Random? Odd?

What kind of odd or surprising triggers have you noticed? What triggers a trigger??
I have been fortunate to avoid more than I expected… but today I was driving my dad to the hospital (Covid19 & pneumonia :slightly_frowning_face:) and passed my old liquor store and almost pulled in!
Idk if it was the stress of my family and I being sick, or just that my mind was wandering… but it really took me off guard!!
It felt really great to have kept driving though!! :grin:

4 Likes

Good for you Kat!

For me it’s technology, especially if that’s paired with being on my own. Technology for me was a big part of acting out / addictive behaviour. I regulate my relationship with technology to prevent it: I traded in my personal smartphone for a flip phone, I do work in libraries or malls (not alone), or I ask my wife to be in the living room with me while I get my work done.

I am developing safer / non-tech hobbies for myself, learning a new language (paper phrasebooks). It is nice :innocent:

Will I ever be able to spend time alone with technology? I don’t know. But it feels good to be able to maintain my sobriety.

Good thread - thanks for starting it!

3 Likes

During my moments of sobriety I have noticed different triggers for different areas of my life. I have triggers for my addiction (money, stress, overwhelming emotions, certain music etc). I have triggers for when I used to work in the sex trade (certain clothing, certain types of vehicles, lack of money). And I have triggers for when I was in my abusive relationship (people angrily invading my space, when another person yells etc.) Some of my triggers have lessened. Where they dont impact me as much but others still do (especially the ones related to my addiction). I’m learning to realize that I am living a different life now and that I am safe. I dont need to let those triggers impact me to the point of falling into old behaviours… easier said than done of course lol. I’m still learning. But sometimes something will trigger me out of nowhere and throw me off guard. I’m super proud of you for driving past the liquor store. Way to go! That must not have been easy. But what satisfaction u mustve got from that!

3 Likes

Sounds like maybe the stress or worry of your dads situation made you want comfort and your old habit was directing you to what it used to know. Sounds like a big change for the better. Like reprogramming your mind.

2 Likes

@Katmosphere I hope your father will be better, I pray for that.
In my situation, I have identified stress as a big, big trigger. I coped with it most of the time in a bad way and I am learning how to cope well with stress

1 Like

Great choice the more I stay on ts the more I read about when ppl end up slipping and more than not it happens very quickly with not much effort or thought it’s like our brains go on autopilot obviously I guess there is a build up be it small or longer butt it’s something I definitely are aware of in my own RECOVERY it’s really odd BC I go to my local shop for bits I need every other day or third day and the more I’m going lately the more a speckled hen ale looks so so appealing and I’m not even a drinker or its not my doc and it’s played on my mind for sure that little addict voice telling me it’s ok have beer it’s not your doc go ahead.i say f##k you voice do one .GOOD ON YOU KAT 1 TO YOU 0 TO OUR DASIESE.

2 Likes

I hope your Dad will be okay. :heart:

2 Likes