Truth and tough love

For real, if you still enjoy your drinking carry on. My last couple of years of drinking was no fun, I didn’t enjoy it, I drank because it was life.

Half measures avail us nothing, either shit or get off the pot, you found yourself on a sobriety forum. No one finds themselves on a sobriety forum unless they have a drink problem

9 Likes

But, I sit on the pot to keep up with TS…

2 Likes

Lol me too. Figure of speech​:japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre:

1 Like

Huh, didnt know that was supposed to be a Japanese Ogre…

My emoji bar doesn’t have my favorite emoji, the yelly face lol so it was the best I could find

1 Like

Wrong thread again, Dude!

I’m so happy that I had some people who were honest with me in early sobriety. Support is great, but having someone lie to me about how everything is going to be okay would have probably kept me sick and using.

7 Likes

Especially when it’s not all hunky dory in the beginning, which for a large number of us it isn’t. The only people I could relate to in the beginning were the folks who were still wet, I’m thankful that the old timers were a little more realistic, same with my IOP counselor, he hit the nail with the hammer, but it was full of compassion because of how he swung it.

5 Likes

8 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
“And I would have done it if it hadn’t been for them peskey self will and determination!”
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::star_struck:

1 Like

I have a question for all the people who relapse because they think they can drink safely, are cured, or got over it:

Is it that you don’t read any of the threads here or is it that you are so arrogant you just think it won’t happen to you? I would say we average at least 3 of these relapse posts a week. So if you aren’t a new member I’m going to assume you have read them. Therefore it’s gotta be arrogance. I know it was for me.

1 Like

My vote: Arrogance. How many people try heroin or meth, knowing how these substances ruin lives, but think they can handle it? How many people have woken up after a bender/blackout, swore it off, after beginning the night with “Just a couple…and then I’ll stop”?

My daughter recently asked me if I would use weed if they legalized it in our state. I told her without a doubt, no, because I would like it too much.

It’s like locking your keys in the car. As you are closing the door, part of your brain is screaming “stop”, but the other part, the habitual part, goes right ahead and closes the door.

2 Likes

It’s likely good ol fashioned ego. I don’t know what else it could be. They all pretty much read the same, 99.9% read as them drinking because they thought they could handle it, drank once and it went okay or perhaps even well, used the alcoholic mind fuck of making rules like only on the weekends, and within 2 weeks were drinking daily and ruining their life again.

And that’s only the ones who make it back to post.

The fear of missing out is palpable in so many people. I wish the hangover would last a lot longer, people are always very “determined and motivated” to be sober when they’re still detoxing.

Being determined and motivated is great, but if you’re not gonna make any changes to your life you’re not gonna succeed.

You take a risk every single time you drink, to get sober you have to risk being uncomfortable, getting your ego deflated, risk losing some drinking buddies. IF NOTHING CHANGES, NOTHING CHANGES.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call it arrogance. I would call it basic addictive/alcoholic thought process. Someone has mentioned “terminal uniqueness”. None of us are unique. A freshmen in psychology 101, could easily see this as a standard way of thought for most addicts/alcoholics. As long as this app is up and running, we will have individuals come on here thinking these kinds of things. Why? Because none of us/them are that unique. AA teaches, that all we can do is tell our story and hope that it opens up a dialogue. If labeling them arrogant makes you feel better, then keep on keeping on.

4 Likes

Maybe just mine was arrogance. Granted I didn’t have this forum when I first tried to get sober, but I’m not sure it would have made a difference. I was pretty much dead set that I would be able to drink again. I honestly thought “won’t happen to me”. Then it happened to me lol.

1 Like

Hubris, perhaps? It was in my experience. First, I thought I could drink just like “everyone else”. Then, I refused to admit that I might have a problem, could quit anytime I wanted, and the biggie, that I somehow had basic human “right” to drink if I wanted to, even if my drinking was starting to impact my relationships, my health, my faith, and my ability to give 100% at my job.

I guess it could be labled anything. Just makes me scratch my head that it suprises us that it happens over and over. If anything, it should be expected behavior, after all, none of us are unique

5 Likes

100% is part of a process. Heck, on here we have talked about needing to hit botton, or someone isnt trully ready to quit. I just hope that my story might make someones bottom not so deep.

4 Likes

I agree, that when it comes to drugs and alchohol, none of us are unique. It is pride, ego, or hubris that is at the root of our belief that we are unique.

This was one of the major breakthroughs for my thinking, in that I realized that I may be stoic and individualistic in how I live life in many ways, when it came to booze I was a most common drunk.

2 Likes

I don’t think it IS part of the process but dammit it sure CAN be a part of many people’s story. It sure was mine.

None of us are unique so it really isn’t a shock when it happens but we shouldn’t let people think it’s expected. If that makes sense.

3 Likes