Truth and tough love

Grr. That’s one of the reasons why I hate This Naked Mind. I’m not sure if she covered that in her book but she did talk about it in the podcast. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::exploding_head:

2 Likes

The one’s I used all the time to justify my drinking: I did so well not drinking for those 2 days I deserve a drink (I used to do this a lot with working out and rewarding myself with alcohol as well); life is SO hard for me and I feel SO sorry for myself for my situation (that I kept myself in with my own free will and wasn’t even bad) I deserve to drink; I had kids so young and never had the chances to really be without responsibility (I had my first when I was 25… Not exactly “young”) I deserve a drink.

12 Likes

The one that irks my nerves the most by far is “I drink because [insert social activist stance or political rant here]” lol, if i had a dollar for every time ive heard someone say they got drunk because Trump is president ruining the country or because congress wont cooperate so he can make america great again we’d all be rich. One side is just as bad as the other and if you drink over politics youre gonna die drunk lol. My question is how the fuck is you getting drunk gonna help clubbed baby seals or mistreated refugees anyway? Maybe if you’d quit being selfish and stay sober u could volunteer to help or even donate the money u just spent on that fifth to the cause of your choice? :thinking:

9 Likes

I drink because people eat sentient beings. (Sorry, couldn’t resist!)

5 Likes

I’m a grown-assed man who served his country in combat. I EARNED my right to drink.

6 Likes

But you’ve earned the freedom of not drinking as well.

4 Likes

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

3 Likes

15 Likes

If you find yourself being uncomfortable around alcohol or struggling around alcohol then you ain’t ready to be around alcohol.

I’m not saying you have to dodge every social situation that has booze for the rest of your life. But if you are scared you are going to drink, or literally sweating bullets then you are not ready to be in that situation.

8 Likes

I visited a friend that moved maybe a 1/4 mile from me. Him n his roomie were tallying who can drink more bitchin whos cheating :roll_eyes:… I felt awkward as hell n feel like i no longer fit in ever…

1 Like

I’ve dodged many ‘must attend’ events… still do, if it’s nothing but drinking. And they carry on just fine without me… I’m not as miss-able as I’d like to think I am. I’ve passed on my best friends kids graduations…I skipped a family anniversary party…I declined a couple surprise birthday parties…I’ve turned down numerous holiday events… There is no reason to be there that is more important than my sanity or sobriety. Ever!

11 Likes

@anon51407452

I’m glad you are here - and I’m happy your first experience with AA was a good one. I can imagine that I would have had a similar reaction if someone had tried to push me toward working the program before I was ready. I had to get there on my own. When I finally did, I was so desperate to get sober that I would have done almost anything. Prior to that? I just couldn’t give up that crutch.

I’m really happy that you found a therapist who is a good fit for you. Dealing with all the other stuff is huge. I am still unpacking boxes of the crazy and dealing with it a little bit at a time.

I found a home in AA, unlike any I have ever had before. It is the first place I have ever been able to be 100 percent myself. I so hope you have a similar experience. Let us know how it goes…:heart:.

3 Likes

You can work all the programs you want, seek all the advice you need, read all the books and listen to all the podcasts.

But sometimes, sometimes, you need to put that warrior head on, tell your addiction to go and fuck itself and plough on.

11 Likes

This is exactly what I have had to do a lot lately. It’s been my go to since day 1. Partly because I love telling things to fuck off. :laughing:

5 Likes

I see a lot of medical questions here. I’m going to give a blanket answer bc this applies to everything.

Stop using drugs and alcohol. Then go to the doctor.

13 Likes

That is so true. Many of my medical issues have vanished or diminished since i quit drinking. Mental issues take longer but im able to see positive development already with 5+ months in. Excercise is a tremendous help too. Part of my program now, little by little.

4 Likes

I should have added exercise bc it’s good for physical and mental health.

1 Like

Indeed. But it takes time & patience to include excercise to your daily routine. At least has taken for me.

2 Likes

So I’m finally getting around to reading chapter 10 - to the employers. Love it. It’s fire.

I have a really hard time with maintaining routines. I can do it for a few days but then I get busy doing other stuff and soon enough I’m back to sitting in my couch binging tv. :disappointed:

1 Like