Truth and tough love

We silence ours and everybody places their phone face down in the center of the table.

1 Like

The one meeting I went to they all got various copies of the big book out . Hard back, iPad, phone.

I remember when I first started going to meetings I was still a mental health disaster. My mind was everywhere but centered. I had a lot of anxiety and was just a general mess. Sometimes I would center myself by aimlessly scrolling my phone. It actually helped me focus on the message. I am not really concerned with phone use as it’s none of my business. I don’t go to meetings to be the AA police. I go because I want to hear the message, not make sure other people do. I don’t know anyone’s circumstances, nor should I be told why they are on the phone. Even if they hear 5 minutes of what’s being said it could change their life. This is my own personal view and I know it’s not shared by many, but if you wanna use your phone I say rock on with your bad self. Just keep the volume off lol.

4 Likes

At my meetings they request at the beginning that any phones be turned off or put on vibration/silence. I think this allows people to at least have access if there is an emergency (I often have to leave my kids at home alone…they aren’t really young, but someone could still cut a finger off or push her sister down the stairs in a fit of rage…LOL)

2 Likes

At my last meeting the guy sitting beside me was totally sleeping through the entire meeting (you know, the head sinks and then snaps back up thing). But he was there!!! That is all that mattered. I don’t know what his story was. Maybe he was up all night nursing his dying father. I won’t judge what someone else is doing.

8 Likes

Understood. But it still pisses me off. Not a big deal actually as regards the recovering work im able to go through with the help of aa :blush:

1 Like

Totally. Phones are so damned prevalent in our society (and I am SOOOO guilty of it), we can’t spend any time just BEING with other humans.

1 Like

The three truths I’ve learned:

1. I’m not in control of what happens to me, only my reactions. (Spoiler: My HP is in control).

2. My way isn’t the only way.

3. The mirror shows me who is to responsible for all my problems.

I remind myself of these everyday.

21 Likes

Dearest Dan,
ive a lot to learn from you.
Humbly yours,
Hanna

6 Likes

Only thing I can control at a meeting is what I do. Just me and my cup coffee!!

8 Likes

This…

16 Likes

“If you listen to the trees, you’ll hear a thousand tales of those who walked the path before you.”

That’s a line from a song I wrote like 5 years ago called “The Journey”. In a way, this forumn is like the trees that echo the stories for us to hear. I’m no one special, I’m just giving back what I’ve taken in. :blush:

9 Likes

Someone on my next door app gave advice to another member that was looking to open a small bakery in the mall. He’s all about the truth and tough love. Pretty much solid advice for life-see #9.

10 Likes

Ouch. That’s just painful to read.

1 Like

Beautiful words with deep message. You are talented :star2::pray:

2 Likes

no doubt…i wish id seen it about 12 years ago tho lol

1 Like

First before you make amends you should really have a solid foundation in recovery, but I doubt many people are going to wait until they are ready.

So if you really must rush into making amends please remember this: Amends are to make the other person feel better, not yourself. If you think you deserve forgiveness you better be ready to earn it. If you aren’t, then you aren’t ready to make amends. Are you ready to pay back that money you stole? Can you listen to a family member call you a piece of shit for all the things you’ve done? Can you handle your ex tell you they never want to talk to you again? If you answered no to any of those questions then you ain’t ready.

17 Likes

Yep, everyone always wants to rush into the half-hearted amends first thing and expect the reaction from everyone to be like flipping a switch. It never works that way and guess why? Because they still think youre a peice of shit, now guess what?..You ARE still a peice of shit just a remorseful one, but dont worry, youre working on changing that…its what sobriety is all about, but it takes time and a fair bit of learning and self discovery first. Im guilty of this one myself and those halfassed attempts are just gonna make it harder to make real amends once weve worked our way up to that step.

8 Likes

In fact the whole damn process takes time…

9 Likes

Slip vs relapse? More like slip = relapse. I’m sure there’s plenty of headstones out there saying “but it was only a slip”. The first one you take when leaving sobriety is the most dangerous. Your tolerance is low, and you have no idea what you are putting in to your body. Any recovery program that tells you a slip is ok is bullshit. Oh but you stopped at just one? Well let me shake your fuckin hand. Just ignore all those people that died from just one. I’m sure it won’t be you.

6 Likes