Trying to figure myself out

I notice that when I spend too much time socially interacting, I start to feel anxious, my mind races, and I feel “all over the place”. I’m not sure what it is that causes this. The only way I know to reset myself is to isolate myself for a while. After a few days of isolation, I begin to feel more “centered” and I’m able to interact with others again. I need to get to the bottom of what this is all about. It’s kinda a new thing that’s only been happening the last couple of years & it’s really hurt my social life. I find myself limiting my conversations with people & avoiding people. Does anyone else go through anything similar?

4 Likes

Haven’t had literally pretty much any interaction with anyone in this 5 months. A couple hey what’s up to ppl, and then the little interaction with coworkers, who I literally yup to death. For me it’s meaningless small talk I have nothing to talk about so I stay quiet. I’m ok with it, I like quiet and I don’t like ppl in my life. I don’t want to hang out with ppl who drink and hoot and holler so I won’t even bother with anyone outside of work bc that’s all ppl know how to do. I want nothing to do with it, I hate it sometimes and feel lonely. But it’s who I am, partying woke that person up for me and I was loud and crazy sometimes. Sometimes I wish I was like that sober, but apparently I’m pretty introverted I geuss. No advice on how to deal with it I geuss, but yeah I’m like this :100:

1 Like

You described it perfectly. That’s exactly how it’s been for me.

Yes! It sounds to me like you are an introvert. Here are a couple of sites to get you started…

Enjoy and welcome to the club! :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you @SassyRocks! I’m going to read these now. I’ve never considered myself to be introverted. Maybe sobriety has changed that about me.

1 Like

I was the same, always thought I was an extrovert. I am not! I am an extroverted introvert. I am completely and utterly drained after interacting in groups or large social settings. And yes, it takes some down time to reset.

Lots of helpful stuff to read about introversion. Learning not to fight against my nature was helpful and being okay with taking the time I need to recenter.

:heart:

2 Likes

And I forgot to add that getting sober made me realize some of what I drinking at was my anxiety around people and situations.

2 Likes

Definitely true for me as well. Thank you again.

1 Like