Trying to get focused on recovery

I am trying, after a 3 year relapse, to get back onboard. I am a heavy drinker and user and would appreciate some guidance. My options are not good. None of them. Treatment-could lose housing. I’ve functional, but unproductive. I am the problems. Please help…

4 Likes

Cut out the drugs and alcohol, start working a program of action and recovery, and find things in your life to replace the drugs and alcohol that have been sustaining you and giving you a feeling of contentment for so long. Your new life starts now! You got this! All the best! :+1:t3::call_me_hand:t3:

3 Likes

σиє ∂αу αт α тιмє. ωнαт ωιℓℓ уσυ ∂σ тσ∂αу тσ ¢σитяιвυтє αи∂ ¢σммιт тσ уσυя яє¢σνєяу? тнє ѕαмє єиєяgу уσυ ѕρєит тσ кєєρ υѕιиg тυяи ιт αяσυи∂ αи∂ υѕє ιт тσωαя∂ѕ яє¢σνєяу.

2 Likes

Try a meeting might help helped me stay sober wish you well

2 Likes

One of the things we learn in recovery is that we can’t control most things (including where exactly we will live; many people in recovery find they grow into new spaces). The only thing we can control is our choices.

When you choose to go to treatment, you are choosing no longer to be passive. You are choosing to be proactive. You choosing health and progress. My experience in life shows me that people who choose health and progress, find a place to live and food to eat. It doesn’t have to be fancy, and you don’t have to be rich or even middle-class; it just has to be enough to feed yourself and be safe.

Your safety is not defined your physical living space. Your safety is defined by your choices and your actions. All choices come with risk. You have to decide which risk is worse: the significant risk of continued addiction, by staying where you are; or the reasonable, manageable risk of losing your current physical housing (which just means you’ll have to tap your recovery network - friends and supports from rehab and groups - and your sober life living skills [which are significant], to find a home and food; you will succeed in that; I know you will because the challenge of finding a place to live is much easier than the challenge of getting sober).

Yes it is challenging to get clean. But it will pay itself back 100x greater than the cost of staying where you are.

Have courage and take action, one day at a time. What you need will come.

1 Like

Thanks, will do. I am tapering down a few days (2) but if that doesn’t work, maybe I need to get drastic. I know of outpatient programs, too. Maybe I should commit the summer to one. Maybe I need to commit the nest long period of time to sobriety. Other a stuff is not
working out well. This could be the new life starting now, if I can make the choice.

Thank you. Starting tonight. I hope this will suffice for a meeting tonight, but I know I’ve got to get around sober people. I mdo have support, they are waiting for me to decide. So I must.

It might be just that simple. All my problems might be greatly helped by meeting attendance. Got to do something.

1 Like

Thank you. Courage has never been as good as I would like. But the misery of sitting here lamenting another failed relationship is not something I want a continuance on. that’s the hardest thing; thinking I was needed under the illusion of substance abuse. The false hopes dashed every time I begin to believe there is more to life than sustenance, if even that. I’ll look at treatment. I honestly believe it would help at this time.

Meetings do help. Share whatever you can, and be open to advice. Listen to shares from others and maybe try to make some friends in recovery.

You can’t win this battle with addiction alone, you’ll benefit greatly from the support and suggestions from other addicts in recovery.

Good luck you got this,
Hope to see an update.

Arno

1 Like

Thanks. I will keep posted on progress. Start a list of recovery stuff to do now for tomorrow.