Turning a new leaf

After coming back from a family cruise I feel rejuvenated. I had time to figure out what I need and what I want. I was in a treatment program I was a little on the fence about. After just being away I feel like why am I paying for something I’m not getting anything out of it. Since being home I found a therapist that’s a awesome fit and an AA group that won’t leave me out of the cold to process my emotions. Crazy after you even telling the therapist this was causing proplems it’s like they didn’t care. Any who…I am proud of myself to be taking back control of my life.

I am strong I will fight this battle one day at a time :blush:

10 Likes

Glad to see you back. Did you hit any meetings on the boat? I’ve always wondered what they are like

@Englishd I didn’t know if they had meetings but I was good. There was a lot of drinking going on around me. I’m more of a emotional drinker I don’t deal with situation very well. Me and my kids had so much fun. My daughter said mommy u look so happy. That just melted my heart.

6 Likes

That’s so sweet :heart:

2 Likes

It would have been listed as Friends of Bill Was in the program. They are on all cruise ships but obviously aren’t advertised lol

1 Like

I did see that but I didn’t know what that was. Now i know. I should of posted that I was going on this cruise…funny thing my therapist didn’t even know. Well planning to go every year with my kids so now I know. Thanks.

1 Like

Anytime you see something listed as Friends of Bill W. It is referring to AA, as Bill W was the founder, along with Dr. Bob. The doctors opinion and Bill’s story are two big book must reads lol

1 Like

Oh I remember talking about this with you. I am glad you found yourself a new therapist, it sounded like that’s what needed to happen.

1 Like

That definitely would have made it worth it.

1 Like

I just felt like that program was setting me up to fell as I have my mental health issues too. She was very much aware of this too. I am glad I was able to take charge of what I feel is best for me in my process of becoming sober.

1 Like

I was reading a book recently, which is about the importance of treating mental health and substance abuse together( as opposed to previously when the issues were only treated separately). I think it’s important to understand how they influence one another. I hope you are able to do this now.
The book is basically a Counsellors guide to working with patients with both mental health and substance abuse issues. You don’t have to be a Counselor to use it though. Maybe you might find it useful. It’s called
’CO - Occurring Disorders
Integrated Assessment and Treatment of Substance Use and Mental Disorders ’ by Charles Atkins MD.

1 Like

@Winter thank you. I will look for that book.

1 Like