Turning triggers into motivation

So I haven’t been very active lately. I just wanted to step in and say as far as things go, I am doing well I think! I began this (and hopefully the final) leg of my sobriety journey last June. Honestly…the past 12 months have been excruciating. Starting in February of last year my ex decided she was going to try to keep my daughter free her visitation weekend, and things have not been the same since. I have to fight my ass off in court to get her back home, fight some more to get a custody agreement in place, fight some more to legally establish paternity/legitimacy, I had to move because she entered the house I was living in into bankruptcy, I have been investigated by child protective services for false allegations, the local sheriff for false allegations, and she tried to burn my house down while I was on vacation. Every day is a battle here. She is impossible to work with and I consistently have to fight to undo the issues she causes with my daughter by telling her things and trying to get her to say things to school officials etc. In addition to that, and the move, I started a new job in September and there is a lot on my plate there too. Plus of course there is the normal COVID stuff that everyone else is dealing with too.

With this on my plate I have had the idea come to mind that if there ever was a time in my life that drinking would be understandable, it would be now. Then the sobriety train kicks in…I could not imagine for one second dealing with all of this crap with a hangover. If I was still drinking most of this would not have been possible to manage at all. The clarity that I have gained since last June ha allowed me to handle things rationally and approach every situation with the ability to focus and make decisions with positive impacts. Not to mention the impacts to my daughter and the improved quality of our time spent together.

So what I am saying is, when life kicks you or you have a lot to handle, don’t turn to your DOC, ask yourself…how much worse will it be to deal with this same mess hungover or how much worse could I make this situation if I am intoxicated or out of control and not acting with a clear mind.

Just wanted to pass on a little something that has helped me on those rough days, it has been 270 days here!

Stay sober everyone!

17 Likes

You are doing great Cliff! I’m very proud of you. Your kids are lucky to have you. Stay strong my friend and keep fighting the fight.

3 Likes

You’re a badass man! Keep up the awesome work. I am confident you will get all of that hammered out.

3 Likes

Great message Cliff.
It sounds like you are doing an amazing very tough job of holding it together. I’m so glad you can see all the benefits sobriety can bring you.

Just love this.:point_up:
It’s so true. If we could all just stay on board.
Good luck man. Keep up the good fight.
:pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes